Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Kit Costs

Posted by ZachHoeken 
Extruder Kit Costs
July 14, 2007 04:44PM
Hey Guys,

I've found someone who is interested in making some extruder kits for us. I got the pricing, and I'd like to find out what interest there actually is before I go ahead and place an order with the RRRF.

Anyway, the kit includes:

* Aluminum CNC'ed extruder body parts
* drive screw
* bearings
* cut / drilled heater barrel
* drilled / tapped PTFE barrier

It contains all the mechanical parts (minus fasteners) that you need to create an extruder.

It looks like the intial price is going to be ~$90 / kit for the first 10, then dropping to $70/kit for the rest. If there is enough interest, I'll go ahead and place the order. I'm also going to see if there is anything else we could do to further reduce costs. If I do, I'll post back here.

If you're interested, just post here to that effect.
Re: Extruder Kit Costs
July 14, 2007 07:25PM
Absolutely, 100% interested! Of course, the cheaper the better, but even at $90 that's a good deal.

Man, do I love capitalism...

Kyle
Anonymous User
July 15, 2007 12:52AM
Sign me up for one.

N.B. The last time I did this kind of low volume manufacturing, The winning combination was sand casting the raw body, then CNC to final profile.
Replace sand with silicone if we are talking plastic.
CNC for the barrels makes great sense.

Best,
Dan
July 15, 2007 08:12PM
I'll take one. I'm running a little behind my own schedule at the moment but I'm hoping to get to the point where I can make use of it in 6 weeks or so.
I'll definitely order one

I'd also be interested in the 3d printed parts. Although i've searched for some time I could not find a shop that lets me print parts on a stratasys 3dprinter here in Austria.

greetings
Philipp
July 16, 2007 08:59AM
Please order one for me as well, this is great news! Thanks for all your hard work, as soon as we can get printing the plastic parts I think everything will be in place!
Anonymous User
July 16, 2007 10:12AM
I'll take one too smiling smiley
July 16, 2007 10:19AM
I'm in as well, sign me up for one!!!

$90 is very affordable, only the plastics, without the barrel, drive screw etc. rapid prototyped would cost more...

/Erik
Anonymous User
July 16, 2007 10:37AM
It feels like cheating, but what the hell, sign me up for one too.
July 16, 2007 12:11PM
wow!

this is a fantastic response from you guys. as soon as i hear back from the Luis (the guy who will be doing these... he's also on the forums) we should be going forward with the order.

it will probably be 3-4 weeks until i actually have the parts and am able to ship them out. i'll try and get something up on the store for those of you that want to do presales. otherwise i'll make an announcement when we have them in stock.

in the meantime, i'll work on getting the build instructions created and working for this version of the extruder. this should be an interesting few weeks =)
July 16, 2007 04:49PM
I'll take one! I'm just about done with the electronics and was wondering what to do next....
Anonymous User
July 17, 2007 03:00PM
ZachHoeken Wrote:
> it will probably be 3-4 weeks until i actually
> have the parts and am able to ship them out. i'll
> try and get something up on the store for those of
> you that want to do presales. otherwise i'll make
> an announcement when we have them in stock.

Sounds great! Thanks for putting together the order.

Is there another order of HDPE in the works? Once I get the extruder parts I'm going to need something to feed it.
July 17, 2007 05:26PM
crap! they ran out of stock on the store... i actually have tons of it sitting in my lab. i reset the quantities and its now available for purchase. i should really check those quantities more often =)
July 17, 2007 06:08PM
I'm interested. I just finished a CNC mini-mill which I was going to use to cut parts, but at these prices I'd definitely buy commercially-machined ones.
July 17, 2007 08:01PM
I'm tempted, but I'm starting to remember the old song "One Piece At A Time". I'm not sure I could make a reprap bracket set 1.1.0, work conveniently with a boards set 1.2, work conveniently with an extruder kit 1.2.1, work conveniently with a host 1.4, work conveniently with the firmware that came with/out at the same time as the boards set...

[www.cowboylyrics.com]
[en.wikipedia.org]
July 17, 2007 11:49PM
I don't think *anyone* knows whether they can make a RepRap "work conveniently" at all, yet, except those very few brave pioneers who have already constructed one!

One benefit of having defined interfaces and communication protocols is that you can indeed mix and match fairly well, as long as everyone sticks to the agreed definitions. So a set of boards of 1.2 or 1.2.1 should work with the (only) released set of firmware, which should work with either of the two host software releases, which should work with any MkII extruder, and with any RepRap Darwin robot parts kit you can get your hands on :-)

We're not yet in "mature production" of RepRap Darwin 1.0s, obviously. We don't even have a single complete Darwin 1.0 in existence! So none of this is quite as simple as, for example, buying an audio CD and knowing it will be compatible with your CD player... well, even there some DRM measures can prevent use of some "CDs" on some PCs, actually!!

Jonathan
Anonymous User
July 18, 2007 08:16AM
ZachHoeken Wrote:
> i reset the quantities and its now available for
> purchase. i should really check those quantities
> more often =)

Thanks, that was a lot faster than I expected smiling smiley
July 18, 2007 11:32AM
well, i am moderately obsessed with reprap. =)
August 14, 2007 05:33PM
also interrested and looking forward to seeing them up there.
August 15, 2007 04:38PM
I'm interested, just need to wait until I get paid from my new job. Will you ship stuff to the UK? If so I will get all the PCBs, and probably most stuff in the shop.
August 16, 2007 10:21AM
yes, we ship basically everywhere.
September 17, 2007 04:05PM
I'll definitely be interested, once I get settled into my new place (moving tomorrow from Louisiana to Tennessee) and get a new job.
September 26, 2007 11:54AM
hello,

are you still taking orders for an Extruder Kit? if so how do I order one?

Thanks
September 27, 2007 11:03AM
sorry, they are out of stock. the aluminum ones were very work intensive, so we're trying to get molded / cast parts made. i'm not entirely sure where we are at with the molds, but we should have them ready fairly soon. once we get them back in stock, i'll definitely make a post about it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login