Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DarwinOptoEndstop BOM parts

Posted by RoundSparrow 
DarwinOptoEndstop BOM parts
November 16, 2007 09:35PM
howdy.

[reprap.org] (DarwinOptoEndstop page)

Minor issue, but wanted to track it down.

The BOM for the OptoEndStop shows a single "3 pin housing". Yet, the instructions depict soldering wires directly into the PCB.

The real question is why does the BOM suggest the "3 pin housing"? Wouldn't you also need a "3 pin header" to go along with the housing? There is also a photo of loose parts that possibly depicts a "header" and not a "housing"?

Trying to sort out my parts before assembly winking smiley

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2007 09:45PM by RoundSparrow.
Re: DarwinOptoEndstop BOM parts
November 18, 2007 04:05PM
The instructions were changed in response to my experiences [forums.reprap.org] and it may be there are remnants of the previous instructions and BOM.

I connected the wire via a 3 pin header and housing combo but there was an excessive amount of force needed to insert the headers.

Chances are you'll not be wanting to plug and unplug the wires at the endstop itself so its probably best to just solder them on.

However, I believe the 3 pin housing listed in the BOM is for the other end of the wire that connects to the stepper controller board. The 3 pin header it connects to is part of the BOM for the stepper board itself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2007 04:11PM by reece.arnott.
Re: DarwinOptoEndstop BOM parts
November 19, 2007 12:12AM
sorry guys! the opto endstop docs are lagging a bit.

the way it should work is this:

[opto]---->[housing]

where you solder wires directly to the opto board, but then attach a connector at the end. then the endstop becomes an object you can simply plug into a stepper board.

i'll get some photos and proper colors up on the wiki soon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login