Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie software getting started problem

Posted by finackles 
Newbie software getting started problem
February 24, 2012 05:05PM
I have just finished construction of my reprap prusa mendel. I have installed a ton of things, and Pronterface seems to work okay to a point.
I can send the three axes back and forth, and the home thing works fine.
But when I load an STL file, I get some errors like this:

Slicing Z:\STL Prusa files\Belt clamp.stl
['python', 'skeinforge/skeinforge_application/skeinforge_utilities/skeinforge_craft.py', 'Z:\\STL', 'Prusa', 'files\\Belt', 'clamp.stl']
Slicing: python skeinforge/skeinforge_application/skeinforge_utilities/skeinforge_craft.py Z:\STL Prusa files\Belt clamp.stl
Skeinforge execution failed.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pronterface.py", line 1260, in skein_func
File "subprocess.pyc", line 623, in __init__
File "subprocess.pyc", line 833, in _execute_child
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

I am running Windows XP, I have the skeinforge app in the directory skeinforge\skeinforge_application\skeinforge_utilities within the folder that pronterface sits. It appears to be a pathing issue.

I had the same issue when skeinforge was NOT sitting in this location. Is there a config I can change to point it to the correct location?

Can anyone offer me any pointers? I am pretty okay with Windows and DOS, but can't see anything obvious.
Cheers
Finackles
Re: Newbie software getting started problem
February 24, 2012 06:52PM
I am no expert with skeinforge but those errors do look path related. Maybe due to the spaces in your filenames and directories as the error suggests to me that your path is being tokenized incorrectly. Have you tried using filenames and directories in their 8.3 formats rather than the filenames and directors with spaces? You can find those out in dos by using dir /x
Or maybe just rename your directories without spaces?
Or wrap your file path in double quotes?
Just some suggestions for you.
February 24, 2012 08:32PM
Additional.
Tried changing the / to a \ in the config settings, made it arguably worse.
Tried a file coupling.stl in a short name directory, no different.
THEN, I noticed this bit in the erro:
File "pronterface.py", line 1260, in skein_func
File "subprocess.pyc", line 623, in __init__
File "subprocess.pyc", line 833, in _execute_child

And then I looked for pronterface.py, and you know what? I couldn't find that. That would suggest I am missing some key files.
I downloaded printrun-experimental-07DEC2011.zip from [koti.kapsi.fi] but I am not certain where I should get these py files from. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks
February 24, 2012 10:56PM
More additional. I have downloaded pronterface.py and have found the subprocess.pyc file in a python26 folder.
Question: Where should I put these or how do I set an environment variable so these will be found?
February 25, 2012 08:19AM
Hello,

Try to run skeinforge\skeinforge_application\skeinforge.py; this should show a settings window, which means skeinforge is installed correctly.

Also, try to rename the Belt Clamp.stl to something without spaces and move it to a path also with no spaces (maybe on root folder directly) and see what happens..

Hope that helps..
February 25, 2012 02:04PM
Okay, tried that, well specifically, from the command line I typed:
C:\Python27>python \prusa\dist\skeinforge\skeinforge_application\skeinforge.py

I got this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "\prusa\dist\skeinforge\skeinforge_application\skeinforge.py", line 220,
in
from fabmetheus_utilities.fabmetheus_tools import fabmetheus_interpret
ImportError: No module named fabmetheus_utilities.fabmetheus_tools

Not sure if fabmetheus is a separate module or what, I found a ton of stuff in a folder:
C:\Prusa\41_reprap_python_beanshell\documentation

So I am guessing I need to set up the environment with the correct pathing and things. Rather than just adding things to the path each time incrementally, does anyone have a set of environment variables I should set? I have googled it but it's very hard to discern the credible from the rubbish and python environment variables are probably not enough, I need more specific ones for pronterface I think. I did find some on the [github.com] site but they were for Macintosh.

Thanks
March 14, 2012 12:04AM
Try one of the obsolete installs. I had the same issue and went to a prior version. It now works.
[koti.kapsi.fi]
March 19, 2012 06:13PM
I will most likely have the same problem in a week or two, so I will follow this thread
What worked for me was to move skeinforge_application folder from the skeinforge folder to the pronterface folder.
December 04, 2012 12:42PM
finackles Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Additional.
> Tried changing the / to a \ in the config
> settings, made it arguably worse.
> Tried a file coupling.stl in a short name
> directory, no different.

A short name with no spaces?

> THEN, I noticed this bit in the erro:
> File "pronterface.py", line 1260, in skein_func
> File "subprocess.pyc", line 623, in __init__
> File "subprocess.pyc", line 833, in
> _execute_child
>
> And then I looked for pronterface.py, and you know
> what? I couldn't find that. That would suggest I
> am missing some key files.

If you can open the program "pronterface" (and you indicated you can), then you DO have pronterface.py on your system (pronterface is pronterface.py)

> I downloaded printrun-experimental-07DEC2011.zip
> from [koti.kapsi.fi] but I
> am not certain where I should get these py files
> from. Can anyone point me in the right direction
> please?
>
> Thanks

Those .py files are in the kliment-printrunXXX directories. Again, you have the files if you can open pronterface.

I agree with others that this looks like a path issue, as it seems skeingforge is breaking up the path into pieces (due to spaces??)

Another path related possibility, is Skeinforge's path RELATED TO printrun:
In my system "/Kliment-Printrun-xxxxxxx/skeinforge/skeinforge_application/" (Your slashes are "\" however. ;-))
You noted that you simply moved the "skeinforge_application" folder into your printrun directory... In my case the "skeinforge_application" folder still needed to be inside "skeinforge", inside the printrun directory. Maybe this is your culprit.

Just a thought, Pronterface uses Skeinforge to slice, but you can slice with any slicing program and open the gcode in Pronterface..

So, since your pronterface seems to be working, but not Skeinforge, why not just try using "Slic3r" to slice your .stl file, and then load that produced gcode into pronterface- instead of opening the .stl in pronterface which is defaulting to Skeinforge to slice.

(edited several times, spelling and clarity)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2012 01:20AM by xclusive585.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login