Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Project Log

Posted by Phizinza 
Prusa Project Log
March 23, 2012 05:22AM
I should really be doing other things but I need to get away from study and work right now! hahaha

So I've been reading about RepRap's for a couple of months and finally decided last week what I am going to get.

I've purchased a Prusa plastic printed parts kit locally from Australia. It comes with 11 linear bearings.
Gen 7 Electronics kit from Traumflug.
Some of my hardware parts from Small Parts and Bearings (online Australian website).
And the other hardware from Coventry Fasteners locally.
I had to go to my local steel supplies for the smooth stainless steel rod.
I also got a 400 watt PSU from a friend for free.

I still need to get a Hot End, Heat Bed, Stepper drivers, Stepper motors and a USB to TTL.

I'm currently thinking of getting the J-Head Mk IV-B.
There is an Ebay seller in Aus with heat beds that are pretty cheap so I think I'll get one of those.
I found a place in the US that will do the 4 StepSticks A4988 for around $55 shipped and a place that will do the 5 stepper motors for around $70 shipped.
For the USB to TTL I've done some research ad a cheap PL2303HX from ebay should do the job (and with a resistor I can get the DTR pin off of it). I also still need to get 4 M3x40 bolts.

I'm still gathering money from here and there (selling things to fund the project) so I can't buy anything more until some stuff on ebay sells!

I am really looking forward to the parts arriving, but also in a way it might be quite disappointing as I have next to no time to play with it all for the next few weeks!

I've calculated all up it will cost about $600AUD for me to have it all put together. Hopefully it all works and doesn't need anything fixed/replaced/updated.

Any input is welcome. smiling smiley
Re: Prusa Project Log
March 23, 2012 02:38PM
Expect to have to fix/replace a few things. I ordered all my bits and pieces and got them by March 1st. I was printing plastic last weekend 3/18.

I had to enlarge a few holes during the build. You will need to do some soldering and crimping. I did most of the assembly of the frame and axises during my lunch breaks at work. or for an hour when I got home. You won't need a lot of time to get things going. The real time comes from thring to get quality prints.
March 23, 2012 07:31PM
I expect a fair bit of soldering is in order, but that is no issue as I have plenty of experience with that and a good Weller to get it all done neatly.

I have a shed full of fabricating tools and have done plenty of DIY projects on the lathe, drill press etc.

Talking of lathes I forgot to write about the GT2 belts I'll be using. From Small Parts I also got a 2200mm 2mm pitch 6mm wide GT2 belt and a 50mm long 14 tooth pulley stock. I'll be making my pulleys out of that stock on the hobby lathe. I thought of going 12 tooth, but there would only be less than 0.5mm of material between the ID hole and the button of the teeth. So I decided on going for the 14 tooth pulley. Hopefully all goes well, other wise it will be another $20 for another pulley stock. As for the belt, I'll cut it up to make enough for both the Y and X axes.
March 23, 2012 07:42PM
Ah.. You'll have no problems. Your earlier post sounded a bit optimistic, so I wanted to give you a heads up so you wouldn't get discouraged.
March 23, 2012 09:17PM
It's alright, I know there are always problems. I'm just hoping nothing to large! I like to look on the bright side of life.

Got a quick question. Traumflug said I needed 4 stepstick/pololus drivers and the Prusa page says I need 5 Nema 17 motors. Wouldn't the 5th need a driver too?
March 24, 2012 08:55AM
No, the 2 'Z' motors are wired together (usually in series)

something like this:

[reprap.org]
March 24, 2012 07:02PM
Ahhh, Ok I see. Thank you for clearing that up!
March 26, 2012 08:17AM
That price for the steppers is the best i've seen. Mind sharing the source?

I am building my own repstrap in the reprap design but mainly out of ply instead of abs.

Of course the first parts i will print will be upgrades.

It would be great to share build experiences.
March 26, 2012 08:43AM
gregted Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That price for the steppers is the best i've seen.
> Mind sharing the source?
>

Could be [www.ebay.com] or [www.ebay.com]

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
March 26, 2012 06:32PM
Where I had seen them and found the price was at that first link DeuxVis stated from ebay.

My ABS parts arrived in the mail yesterday. Pretty exciting but I'm still waiting on the threaded rod to come!
April 25, 2012 11:56PM
So I haven't updated this in a while but while I'm here sick suck on the couch I may as well do something semi productive.

I received the Gen7 electronics back about 4 weeks ago and spent a couple of nights assembling it. I've still yet to do the testing or powering it up but I'll get around to it...

I received the order of hardware parts, there was some mix up with their website not being updated so to avoid a 8 week wait I ordered 2m of GT2 belt cut off a roll instead of the single 2.2m belt I was going to get. Cost me another $17 but I've got it now. I cut up the smooth and threaded rods and started the assembly of the chassis. I've got the two side frames tightened up and they are also connected with the other rods. All tightened up and held with Loctite 290. I had to stop there as I still hadn't bought the steppers or heat bed. But I've got those now, just came in the mail.

The stepper motors ended up costing me $48AUD for 5, they are second hand but I cannot see a mark on them and they feel good. Only time will tell I guess as I still don't have the StepStick drivers. The motors also came with pulleys which just so happen to perfectly fit my GT2 belt. So it looks as though I'll be using the pulleys that are already on the motors instead of machining out my own. But I do have the option there if need be.

I'm still thinking about how I'll make my print beds, but I've got some ideas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login