Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How much abs or pla is used to print a reprap

Posted by gregted 
How much abs or pla is used to print a reprap
March 26, 2012 07:59AM
My Prusa repstrap ( mainly of ply ) build is coming along nicely and I was wondering if anyone knows how much in kgs or length of abs or pla is needed to build all the rp parts needed to build another prusa.

I was thinking of ordering a sample pack of pla that includes 5 rolls of 20 meter lengths of different colors.

Would 20 meters be enough to print all the parts? It might be the first rainbow prusa!!smoking smiley

I know this depends on infill ratio and extruder nozzle size but a general idea will give me somewhere to start.

Also i will be building my own hotend and can't find a source of ptfe in Australia.
Re: How much abs or pla is used to print a reprap
March 26, 2012 08:26AM
Don't know for length but last time I printed a Prusa V2 it weighted around 450g I think.

20 meters isn't enough, I'd say you'd need 50 to 60 (you're talking about 3mm diameter filament, right ?)

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
March 26, 2012 09:48AM
Hi:

My design (Simplified Ball Bearing Mendel) uses a bit less than 1.5lb (about 0.65kg) at 25% infill density.

john
March 26, 2012 03:26PM
I allow about 66m and I buy 100m rolls so 2 rolls gives me 3 sets if nothing goes awry

March 27, 2012 06:42AM
Appreciate the replys.

Sooo, I should be able to print out a set with 3, 20 meter rolls but in 3 colors. Interesting.

I am interested in printing in multiple colors. Is there a way to do this without manually changing the input.

j andberg, do you have any links to your design.
March 27, 2012 06:57AM
[richrap.blogspot.fr]

[www.thingiverse.com]

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
March 27, 2012 01:49PM
There is a blog posting about an experimental hotend that uses Red,Green,Blue,White filement to achieve multi-color printing.
However they are still a long way off. They can only mix a stripped grey at this time. Sorry I lost the link. Hopefully one of the others remembers the blog post and still has a link to it.
March 28, 2012 08:55AM
Thanks DeusVis. That is just what I wanted.

I searched for the multicolored hot end but no luck. Thanks anyway jakowisp.
March 28, 2012 03:36PM
Slice up each Prusa plate with SF. Once it is complete SF gives you detailed facts (cost, weight, total length,ect). I dont know how accurate this is but it could provides you a ball park on how many parts you could print with each color.
March 28, 2012 06:23PM
ikilledkenny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Slice up each Prusa plate with SF. Once it is
> complete SF gives you detailed facts (cost,
> weight, total length,ect). I dont know how
> accurate this is but it could provides you a ball
> park on how many parts you could print with each
> color.

I found it to be not very accurate at the length used but I did use it to get a ballpark figure for costing out prints, the time scale it outputs is way out too, unless it's been fixed in the later versions. I still live in the dark ages and use SF41 as my settings work very well

March 29, 2012 02:13AM
gregted Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Appreciate the replys.
>
> Sooo, I should be able to print out a set with 3,
> 20 meter rolls but in 3 colors. Interesting.
>
> I am interested in printing in multiple colors. Is
> there a way to do this without manually changing
> the input.
>
> j andberg, do you have any links to your design.

Just a thought - if you haven't actually done any printing yet, you will probably find that you chew up quite a lot of filament just getting your machine calibrated and printing well enough to start making "real" parts like your next RepRap, and then you will probably discover that each different type of filament you try is just a little bit different to the last (presumably due to subtly different melting points, different quality of "self-adhesion", etc), so the settings that work beautifully on your first colour filament produce a real dog's breakfast with the next colour.

I would suggest that you buy at least one longer roll (say 1 kg) of one colour, sufficient to print the whole job, and plan on printing your RepRap in one colour only. If you are luckier than me, and get everything working perfectly very early on, go for the rainbow version - but be prepared for some failed prints the first time you try a new colour.

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
March 29, 2012 08:02AM
I know there are lots of variables in a reprap. Especially when the first repstrap is home made out of ply and the extruder is made in layers sideways from a plastic kitchen cutting board. The gears have been cut on a wood lathe from the same material.

It will be interesting to find out how well it works if at all.

The basics are there, triangular frame, threaded bar, stainless bar for the slides, linear bearings, etc but the devil will be in the detail.

I am at the stage of making the hot end and would like feedback on my final choice of Wildseyed simple hot end.

[www.thingiverse.com]

The items i am having trouble sourcing locally in Australia are the Ptfe rod and Kapton tape.

I decided on this because I have lots of welding tips on hand and the assembly looks simple enough.
March 30, 2012 11:02PM
Hi Greg:

My design is under Simplified Ball Bearing Mendel. Please print and enjoy...

john
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login