Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trapped Nuts

Posted by Katai 
Trapped Nuts
April 14, 2010 03:10AM
I'm finally getting to putting together the entire reprap. I've come across a snag, though. My nuts don't seem to fit into the trapped nuts slot. The slot just seems too small in the top half (the bottom half looks like its fine). What's the best way to get these nuts into the slot? Should I use a file?
Re: Trapped Nuts
April 14, 2010 10:23AM
You can try heating the nut with a torch (while using pliers and gloves to hold it). I used about 8 seconds of direct heat with a pencil torch, then pressed the nuts into the slots while hot, just don't get the nut too hot or it will melt right through your part. If it is zinc plated, the right temp seems to be when you first notice a slight darkening/discoloration of the coating.

Another option is, as you suggested, to use a file or box knife to trim some of the excess plastic from the slot. Either way should work, for the smaller nuts the heating method is a bit easier, but you may have to trim some melted plastic with a drill bit afterward.

----
[www.binaryconstruct.com]
April 14, 2010 10:26AM
I use an exacto knife to clean the hole and then if still necessary lock pliers to force the nut into the hole (of course first ensuring that it is oriented correctly).

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 14, 2010 11:12PM
If the parts are PLA, careful application of boiling water might help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login