Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendel from a Mendel (new build)

Posted by DanielG 
Mendel from a Mendel (new build)
October 23, 2010 12:38PM
So I finally got my machine up and running to the point that I can make another and tweak it better...
I thought I would document it here as to help a new person starting out...
Hopefully I will be able to post the first pics tonight... Until then I will start building the BOM.

Also after my new build is done I will be donating my first set of plastics to someone to start out with.. (dunno to who yet or how to decide..)<< any suggestions?

Dan

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 02:01PM by DanielG.
Re: Mendel from a mendel (new build)
BOM>>

Electronics--
Makerbot gen 3 for now as there does not seem to be a better solution for my project at this time (could change)
I also am using a 4th stepper driver to run the extruder.
I am using LIN Engineering steppers now but do not know which model for the new build yet..
I would buy the same ones IF they would stay in stock!!!!!!!!!!!!
All electronics will be placed in a separate control box and away from the machine for a cleaner look.
LInks--
Makerbot
Stepper Motors (Lin Engineering)

Firmware--
Official 5D from the reprap site for now.. (the early July build)<Edited 34 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2010 06:34PM by DanielG.
Re: Mendel from a mendel (new build)
Machine that is building the Machine. << the first ones are almost always ugly.....

Shot of the electronics...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 01:48AM by DanielG.
The build begins..
October 24, 2010 01:49AM

Second to last part for the bottom frame!

Just a few more parts and the frame is done!

Nightshot... I know...next time a tripod...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2010 10:50PM by DanielG.
Re: Mendel from a Mendel (new build)
October 24, 2010 09:19AM
Great stuff! Looking forward to this smiling smiley

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Re: The build begins..
October 24, 2010 09:06PM
Those are LIN engineering Nema 17 steppers from ebay you were asking about. Great job getting yours to work. I am still thinking maybe I need new electronics I can't get the heat to stop ramping or turn off....
October 24, 2010 10:10PM
Can you post the model #? should be a sticker on the back..
Thanks!
October 24, 2010 11:11PM
4218L-01-10
WO-55068
October 25, 2010 10:55PM
Getting closer... Bottom frame is done..19 more parts and everything will be done except the X Axis...
I have decided on this stepper>> Lin Engineering - 4218L-01D-02 for the new build.. they are now on order!
October 31, 2010 11:11PM
Ok, The frame is done and only 9 more parts to print before final assembly////
I should receive the steppers this week along with some threaded rod that I miscalculafused on....
I think I have decided to go with pololu stepper boards so I will be watching out for that to be in stock...
I will also drill and mount the cast aluminum build plate this week and order the belts... I think the next build will be the red abs you see in the pics.. cool stuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 11:29PM by DanielG.
November 01, 2010 12:31AM
Just a note... For those who are learning and tuning your machines.. you may wanna pickup a cheapo black light (I got mine at lowe's for 20 bucks) and a pound of UV reactive plastic... It's great for tuning as you can see perfectly in low light or even in the dark as to how the plastic is being laid and what you need to adjust..
November 02, 2010 07:04AM
looks awesome. i love that black studding + uv parts...
hey i'm from sydney and printing a mendel on a repstrap.
getting through my makerbot white ABS, think i might go wtih translucent PLA next, freaking cool!
Hey! I'm loving the build under the blacklight. Looking too cool. I'm working on putting a mendel together. I'm a student in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Unfortunately that means I am working with a student budget, haha. I've been able to gather motors and bar stock from old printers, along with optical switches, a power supply from an old computer, and I've picked up some scrap threaded stock from our machine shop, but I've been wondering what to do about the mendel printed pieces.

I noticed at the top you talked about giving away your first set of mendel pieces after your new build, and I would be most gracious and utterly ecstatic if you would consider sending those my way. Once I have a mendel built, I plan on making one for the Mechanical Engineering shop in our department, and also one for the Engineering Honors Program, of which I am a part of. If you have already found someone to donate your parts to, maybe you would be willing to work out a student deal? Anything would be great smiling smiley. Let me knw what you think, and keep posting the pics! Not only are they cool looking, but this piece by piece progress will be tremendously helpful.

Thanks!
Chris
November 02, 2010 04:02PM
Chris,

What_Tooling_Do_You_Have?smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
November 02, 2010 11:50PM
Greengoomba was the first to ask so he will be the person to receive to donated plastics as soon as the second machine is up and calibrated!
November 02, 2010 11:53PM
Chris,

You guys have a laser cutter.

smileys with beerhttp://reprap.org/wiki/LaserCut_Mendelsmileys with beer ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 11:54PM by SebastienBailard.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
November 03, 2010 12:09AM
Daniel ----> Thanks so so so very much! This is fantastic! Seriously, this means a lot.

Sebastien ---> Thanks for the info! I know some people in the computer science department, so I'll ask them about it. And as for tooling options, I have access to a mill and lathe. I was thinking of attempting the metal mendel, and started working on creating my own solidworks model, but I haven't been able to find the scrap/remnant material necessary for the pieces yet. But with Daniels generous offer, 50+ hours of machining (probably more) can be saved and I can get other Mendels built that much quicker.
November 04, 2010 01:37PM
I am basically done now with the printing of parts (minus gears) and will be doing final adjustment of the frame and x- axis this weekend. (pics coming tonight)

I also received the new steppers from alltronics and got a confirmation that the pololu drivers shipped as well...
I think I have decided to go with the ramps solution for the electronics... <Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2010 03:50PM by DanielG.
November 04, 2010 02:49PM
I rewind to get as much of the first plastic out and then I feed the second plastic with a temperature the higher of the two until it flushes out the remains of the first plastic.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 04, 2010 03:49PM
Thanks! I was hoping I could just swap back and forth without to much trouble.. this is good news as I am itching to extrude ABS as I have not tried it yet.
November 04, 2010 03:59PM
Tron, baby!
November 07, 2010 01:37AM

Getting closer to finishing the mechanical... I do have a binding problen on the left Z.. that why the rod's is not all the way up... My guess is it's a plastic bit or something jammed in there... the right side is like butter.... I should have the belts and pololu drivers next week to start testing!
November 11, 2010 10:39PM

Holy stepper size diff! I hope to fire these up this weekend... here is my first print in abs... i know crap but i did learn one thing.... when i figure out abs i will be printing FAST.. i upped the speed to 1500 and wow..... very cool.. abs seems to extrude better than pla......goal this weekend is to ditch repsnapper g-code and learn to forge!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2010 10:40PM by DanielG.
November 12, 2010 11:35PM
mind if I ask what your global x and y mm/min settings are for pla and also what setting are you talking about exactly 1500?
November 15, 2010 02:57PM
I do not use the regular host so I do not use those setting.. I use repsnapper.. By 1500 I mean 1500 millimeter per minute. I could never go that fast for PLA that's for sure! with PLA I only got to around 1000 on my machine.. that's slow compared to most I believe...
November 16, 2010 02:45AM
I run my PLA at 24mm/sec (1440mm/min) with no problems.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
December 27, 2010 03:09PM
I have never been able to go that fast... (I am still learning though!)

Whew! long delay but Oct-Nov kill me with b-days and the holidays..........
I finally had the time to order the rest of the parts for the new build! found a cool box to put them in as well.... I will post the pics tonight....

I do have a question for the experts in the meantime... When converting the makerbot mainboard to use the power from the USB what uses 3.3 volts? I converted my old electronics but have not done the new ones as i do not have a spare 3.3 reg...

I will order if needed but I could not see what used 3.3 volts when I looked at the schematics....

I have a good switching 12 volt supply and a 3A 5v regulator (dimension engineering). <<cool product! overkill but I wanted try it for another project....
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
December 27, 2010 04:09PM
I think it is just for the SD card, that isn't used yet in the reprap firmware.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 27, 2010 05:56PM
Thanks Nophead. Of course I see it now.... I am blind........... that helps as I have no need at this time for SD support....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login