Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper motors getting hot

Posted by gregted 
Stepper motors getting hot
April 23, 2012 06:52PM
Thanks to nophead and others, my motors are turning now. Had to switch outside two wires on each end and use the 4 middle wires as orange, blue, yellow and red.

The wiring diagram explained it very well. I found out the centre taps were the outside wires and they weren't needed.

I opened pronterface and tried the hollow cube callibration and all motors seem to turn as they should but after 5 minutes the x and y motors seem to be getting fairly warm as do the stepper driver heatsinks. I can hold my finger on the motors and heatsinks without burning it but they are defintely hot.

Others have said I need to adjust the trimpot, but I don't see it on the board. Is it under the stepper driver board and do I adjust it down until the motors stop turning and then turn it back up until they start to turn.

All advice appreciated.

Greg
Re: Stepper motors getting hot
April 23, 2012 07:34PM
Re: Stepper motors getting hot
April 23, 2012 11:11PM
Thanks nophead.

I turned these pots right down to full anti clockwise, so zero, and the motors are still turning and cold to the touch.

I understand that I may have to turn these up slightly when I mount them and apply a load but at the moment running cold.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login