Sprinter or Marlin with Mendel Sangu 1.3a

Posted by tncheck 
Sprinter or Marlin with Mendel Sangu 1.3a
February 11, 2012 12:38AM
Hey All,

Prusa Mendel
sangunio 1.3a board with pololu drivers
Windows 7 64bit computer

I have been doing some printer for a while now and now that I have the hang of it I want to start experimenting with some more features. I have always used sprinter firmware on my printer and it has always worked pretty good. Motors seem to run loud, but not sure if that is always common. Basically I have read a few forums that say marlin works better than the sprinter firmware? People have said that the printers run quieter, and the prints seem to turn out much better that with the sprinter firmware. Does anyone have any strong opinions on this as to sway me one way or the other? Pos and Neg maybe of the Marlin.

Thanks all!!
Re: Sprinter or Marlin with Mendel Sangu 1.3a
February 14, 2012 09:17AM
i switched very early from sprinter/skeinforge to marlin/slic3r and went from laying pools of spaghetti to useful prints with virtually no other change. i attribute most of that to slic3r's less insane configuration settings.

the most noticeable difference when comparing the quality of equal parts between sprinter and marlin seems to be on the curves. sprinter will pause a bunch going around, say, a circle. it's not one smooth motion. it's more like it making a bunch of small straight lines in the shape of a circle. marlin can recognize the curves and do them in one big smooth motion, which makes for far better looking prints without all the "globs" from the hot end momentarily stopping over and over.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login