Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help installing firmware onto Ramps

Posted by avh.on1 
Need help installing firmware onto Ramps
February 12, 2012 12:37PM
I am a new RepRap builder. I have a completed RAMPS 1.3 sitting on my desk, and I have not been able to get firmware onto it. So far, I have tried Sprinter, Teacup, and 5D_Gcode. Every time I try to compile them on my computer (which runs 32-bit Windows XP), I get different compile errors. All of the readmes say that I need gcc, which, as far as I know, is unavailable on windows without Cygwin (which I don't have or know how to use).

Can somebody please give me complete directions on how to get firmware onto my machine?

Is there any firmware which can be compiled using just the arduino environment?
Re: Need help installing firmware onto Ramps
February 12, 2012 01:51PM
AFAIK, you should not need gcc, the Arduino IDE should be sufficient. Unfortunately, the Arduino compiler has changed several timed and each time that causes problems with the firmware compilation which someone eventually fixes, only to have Arduino change again. FWIW, I think I had to revert to 0.22 version of Arduino when I compiled Teacup for my bot last summer, but was able to use Arduino 1.0 successfully with Marlin last month.

Pick one set of firmware (of those you have I suggest Sprinter, and strongly suggest you consider Marlin), then let us know which version of firmware, which Arduino IDE, and the specific errors you are getting. There are a bunch of people here who are way more proficient than I who I am sure would then be able to help you get past your current hurdle.
February 12, 2012 05:36PM
Arduino 22 works just fine for me.
February 16, 2012 05:22PM
Never mind... got Sprinter onto the board!!! smiling smiley

Turns out that I never installed the drivers for the arduino mega... I just looked in the arduino's help and followed the instructions. Woked immediately, and solved this problem that had put the project on hold for quite a while!

Thanks to those of you who offered your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login