Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calibration problem, left..left..left

Posted by Replace 
Calibration problem, left..left..left
May 22, 2012 03:09PM
Hi all,

suddenly, my pretty well calibrated Orca turns to the left on each layer.

First perimeter is left orientated to the skirt
Infills is left orientated to the perimeter and stop with a gap on the right and overlap on the left perimeter.
Next perimeter lays left orientated on the previous infill

This was not the case before, so something must have developped a loose end or whatever.

I tightened the Y-traction ribbon which looked loose
No slack in the motor pulleys

Any idea what causes this ?
calibration to the left...

rgrds Thomas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2012 03:10PM by Replace.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Calibration problem, left..left..left
May 22, 2012 07:43PM
The simple answer is your probably losing steps on one of the X or Y axis.
The slightly more complicated question is why?
Could a mechanical issue, something providing enough resistance to cause the axis to skip.
Could be the driver, try turning the gain pot on the driver down slightly, or up slightly if that doesn't work.
Could be electrical noise, check the wiring.
May 24, 2012 06:13AM
I think that's it.

today I tried to print a cube and it started fine, however after 5 minutes the printer said "bang" and continued with an offset of 10 mm (to the right this time).

I noticed the carriage did not run smooth any more. When sliding over the x- axes, it almost blocked on numerous places.
I think the lineair bearings fail. I probably have to replace them :-(

Maybe grease the set for now... any clue what to grease nylon bearings with steel balls in them to run over stainless steel rod ?

Thomas

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
May 24, 2012 06:56AM
I had a linear bearing suddenly seize in one direction only. I figured it got dried out running over the hot bed. I put a drop of car engine oil on the bars and it has worked ever since. It shouldn't mind high temperatures.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 24, 2012 07:51AM
Great,

I'll give it a try

June 03, 2012 11:07AM
Well,

I greased the rods with 10W40 and after some moving by hand, all started to move better and better.
So the symptoms were tha prelude to a crash.

I will see if this was the eureka moment. if not, I will have to replace the lineair's I guess.

Thanks for thinking with me

Thomas

June 05, 2012 01:24AM
Thomas,
I spray my stainless bars very lightly with a small olive oil cooking spray bottle every now and then and check movement with motors off every couple of days.
I have found the stepping of layers when the belts stretch and come loose.
Also had a problem with the x belt rubbing against the fender washer on my idler end and binding.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login