Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I should introduce myself / My machine

I should introduce myself / My machine
May 25, 2012 12:07PM
Howdy folks,

I am fairly new to this forum and I realized today that it is probably bad manners that I have not yet introduced myself. Enclosed is a video just to say a friendly hello and show you guys my machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOeaNiPyI2I&feature=youtu.be

I would like to thank everyone; I have been welcomed kindly and the few questions I have had not only been answered quickly but the answers were quite helpful indeed. I hope to continue to participate and as my skills and knowledge increase, I hope to maybe be able to give back in terms of answering questions for the next batch of folks coming around.

Thanks again folks,
Chris the Carpenter
Rocket Brand Studios
Cape Cod, Mass USA
Re: I should introduce myself / My machine
May 25, 2012 02:30PM
Very sturdy looking printer. I hope that you clear that third level wiggle, cause otherwise your print quality is fantastic.

Thanks for sharing
May 25, 2012 04:55PM
That looks cool I love the selector wheel you need to bring it to RI makers fair..
May 25, 2012 08:12PM
I'm similar to you in that kits bore me and I'd rather build something from scrach. I have been amazed how few folks I've seen, maybe none except for you, use welding as a fabrication tool. I think either folks on this site are old enough to envision an iron worker on a building with a stick welder or too young to be into power tools of any type. Anyway for less then $500 you can pick up a mig welder and fabricate just about anything. My entire extruder is built by welding. I've seen plenty of of guys take expensive extruded aluminum and tie it togather with plastic but no one is showing off quality designs built by welding.

I also wouldn't give up on Mach3. You can read some of my posts on the Mach3 forum. Since you already have a license and probably have a good set of drives from your router you can easily match open source program and excel on motor control. Folks on this site think a Pololu drive is high quality....they haven't used a Gecko. Dont try using the flood coolant as a control, way too much delay. There are programs that drive the A axis that work great. The only thing is that you need to get an ebay temperature controler for the extruder and bed.

I got interruped from seeing the entire video... I look at the rest later.
May 25, 2012 08:47PM
Thanks Gents, it is nice to meet all of you.

@Dean,
I appreciate your kind words. And I agree. I am a 50/50 guy in terms of "new fangled equiptment" --I love and honor a well-honed chisel, and it is gosh-darn nice to own a CNC. Most of the time I find myself designing with cardboard and masking tape anyway.

I started with a $100 flux-only 110v cheapie welder which actually did me quite well. Later, I was lucky enough to figure-in the price of a proper welder into a job I was doing. I have a nice, little 220v Lincoln now. Had it for years, actually. Great little machine.

I dunno if I am going to go back to printing on the big machine again, though... The new printer (in the video) is about 95% dialed-in and is a race car compared to the screw-drive CNC. I also have to say its nice not to have to remount the router everytime I want to mill something.

I am already drawing up some designs for the next machine. I want to do something steampunk, or probably dieselpunk or maybe something 1950's Modern. If you can imagine a printer that the Rocketeer would have, that's what I want to make. Oh! Such fun. I think this 3d thing has created a monster....
May 26, 2012 05:58AM
Great intro video! Welcome to the forum.
NumberSix

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
May 26, 2012 05:27PM
Chris,

Good to 'meet' you. Enjoyed the intro video.
I've thought a few times a 'hello & intro oneself' forum would be generally good.

Cape Cod rings a bell with me not sure why. Could google it but maybe let someone tell me.

Best wishes,

Mike
May 26, 2012 06:16PM
Hey 3D2B,

"Cape Cod" does that for a lot of folks... We are the little hook sticking out of Massachusettes. More to the point, we have 2 islands just off our coast, Martha's Vinyard and Nantucket. Many people "Once knew a man from Nantucket". Martha's Vinyard is where all the politicians go on vacation. Almost every president has spent time here, we have had Mr. Obama twice now. I am sure the reference went by on the news and the name just stuck in your head.

BTW --I am pretty sure I am one of a VERY tiny few of folks here doing any kind of Maker stuff (Robots, electronics, printing, etc.) If for some reason, you are reading this and are on-Cape, please drop me a line. Living 40 miles out in the middle of the ocean makes it hard enough to meet folks --even harder with very-specific hobbies...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login