Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Orca 0.2 Gen6 Pronterface Problems

Posted by sidgouts 
Orca 0.2 Gen6 Pronterface Problems
September 18, 2012 04:23AM
Hi,

I just set up my orca 0.2 with Gen6 and Pronterface. I am using last year's firmware. When I try to send more than one action from pronterface I get this error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python27\lib\threading.py", line 552
self.run()
File "C:\Python27\lib\threading.py", line 505
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs
File "C:\Users\Sid\Desktop\reprap\PronterFace
en
line=self.printer.readline()
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\serial\se
raise SerialException('call to ClearCommErr
SerialException: call to ClearCommError failed

and I also get another error called event object missing.

I got it to print once but then it crashed and hasnot recovered since. I have reinstalled firmware, python and everything.

Could yuou please suggest why?
Re: Orca 0.2 Gen6 Pronterface Problems
September 18, 2012 11:40AM
Why you don`t use the latests precompiled version ?

Printrun compiled download

mfg Chri

[chrisu02.wordpress.com] Quadmax Intel Delid Tools
September 19, 2012 04:19AM
Thank you.

I got it to work finally. It was a dodgly USB connection.

But now I am stuck at configuring slic3r. I am also trying to skeinforge. Is there a guide to set up slic3r for marlin firmware?

Thanks,
September 19, 2012 04:31AM
Slic3r documentation, links to articles about how to set it up: [github.com]
September 19, 2012 04:39AM
thank you. would you be able to tell me why the printer prints really really slow, when uploaded with a slic3r gcode. the speed settings in sli3r says 30mm/s..etc.
September 19, 2012 04:56AM
The first layer prints very slowly to improve the chances of the print sticking to the build plate. There is a setting called 'Bottom layer speed ratio', you might have changed this. Or you might have changed the maximum axis speeds when editing the firmware.
September 19, 2012 08:39AM
Cool Thanks. Would you know why there is some skipping in y -direction for less than a second. This leads to layers being printed in an angle/sideways in y direction where x- direction is perfect. would it be mechanical or electrical? or software related/?
September 19, 2012 10:00AM
Probably you need to tune the stepper motor current. Motors can skip if they don't get enough current, and sometimes if they get too much! A voltmeter is useful to get it exactly right - it ideally wants to be 1 to 1.25A - but can be more if there is a high load on the motor, less if there is a low load on the motor.
See: [reprap.org]
If you don't have a voltmeter, start at the lowest setting (turn the potentiometer anti clockwise until it stops), and increase by 1/8th of a turn until the axis runs without skipping. Test this by homing the axis, then typing "G1 Y100 F10000". The axis will move at a speed of 10000mm/minute, or 166mm/s, which is faster that it should ever need to go. if it still skips, turn up the current 1/8th of a turn and try again. Increase until it doesn't skip. You can do the same thing for the other axes.
Check also that the toothed belt isn't rubbing on fender washers (you will be better off in the long run adding a second 608 bearing next to single 608 bearings rather than using fender washers); this increases the load on the stepper motor, and causes lash on the belt.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login