Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Choosing a Hot end

Posted by thecrazy 
Choosing a Hot end
May 28, 2012 10:32AM
Hi everyone,

I am new to the reprap world and currently building a Mendel Prism.

Did a lot of reading but still cant decide which hot end to go with.

At the moment I am wondering If I should go for a Arcol.hu v4.0.5 or a J-Head Mk IV-B.

Im also wondering If they are worth the money... maybe I should just stick with a regular hot end like they are selling here?

-Click me-

There is also a hot end available from [www.mendel-parts.com] the guy gets such an aswesome print quality... wondering how he does it...

I really dont know what to do.

Please share your experience and wisdom.

Thank you,

Fred.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2012 10:32AM by thecrazy.
Re: Choosing a Hot end
May 28, 2012 11:52AM
I have used the older arcol.hu hot-end and have the J-heads on a couple of my printers. Both of these are excellent hot-ends and I highly recommend them. I believe they are worth the expense. Both have longer tips than many other on the market and have less die swell than typical, a 0.50mm nozzle extrudes as if it is a 0.40mm nozzle.

The mix-shop type extruder can work very well and last a long time, but many people have reported issues with that type of hot-end forcing the nozzle out of the PTFE thermal barrier. I believe that may be due to attempting to print at too low a temperature and/or attempting to print too fast.

Camiel from Mendel-Parts gets very good quality, but he has been doing this for a long time. I've bought and used the first three versions of his hot-ends but eventually moved to the groovemount system (Makergear, J-head, Printrbot, maybe others). I respect and like Camiel but should warn you that Mendel-parts is notorious for being very slow to fulfil orders. He does come thru and his stuff is high quality but you may get frustrated waiting for it to arrive.
May 28, 2012 08:12PM
I have used a couple of the J-Head hot-ends, and they are great. Super short melt-zone, coupled with a little bit of retraction, results in absolutely no stringing. No clean up of parts after they are printed, unless you are using support. I have also used MakerGear's hot-ends, they are more compact but are a little fiddly to put together because of the nichrome/fire cement setup.

I have heard only good things about the Arcol hot-ends as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of the three.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
May 28, 2012 10:00PM
Thank you very much for the feedback,

I also just found out about the BUDASCHNOZZLE 1.1 from [www.lulzbot.com]

I read its a "clone" of the Arcol hotend... very expansive too, just like the Arcol. I found the J-Head at 54.95$ from [makerfarm.com]

I will probably go for that unless you guys recommend another store.

Fred.
May 29, 2012 12:06AM
You can get the J head direct from Brian who actually makes them Here

May 29, 2012 01:45AM
I am using the Arcol V3.1 it is well built with good quality. I think the V4 is shorter in length but needs a fan.
May 29, 2012 12:57PM
NelsonRap thanks for the link, I will be happy to buy it from him.
May 29, 2012 06:53PM
I love the J-head ( which I got via nelsonrap) - the worst of my reprap frustrations vanished the day I installed it, some months ago now.
May 30, 2012 01:11AM
I had the Makergear, it worked great for the first 20 hours, then started to jam constantly. Upgraded to a J-head, and I've been printing for months without a single issue. Highly recommend hotends.com
May 30, 2012 09:29AM
I have an arcol V3.1 and a arcol.hu V4.0. I had some leakage problems with the V3.1, but it survived 6kg of PLA.
About the V4.0 hotend, I can only say WOW. All structural components are steel. All the high temperature parts are steel. I can reliably print with 265C with no ill effects. No leaks or breakage.
There is one disadvantage to the V4.0 hotend. You have to make sure that your filament is <3.0mm in diameter. Anything that you can not push thru a 3mm hole will jam the hotend. I have an unfortunate roll of ABS that fluctuates between 2.9mm and 3.15mm It manages to jam quite reliably. Also a roll of 3.2mm PLA jams every time. Other than that its a fantastic, robust and not leaking hotend. If you order from Arcol.hu directly I recommend 1 or 2 extra resistors and thermistors.

For assembly I found that using ptfe tape to fix the termistor to the hotend. Much easier and cleaner solution and it is possible to remove the termistor afterwards.

http://frosterland.blogspot.com/
rcs
May 30, 2012 02:42PM
I have been thinking about the v4.... from Arcol does it really need a fan as the V 3 does not. I think that a lot of hotends will jam if you try and put over 3mm through them. In the UK the resistors and thermistors are available from RS. I use high temp silicone to fix the thermistor to the hotend.
June 11, 2012 04:49AM
The V4 does not really need a fan for ABS but for PLA it is mandatory. I used a V3 without a fan for some time, but I was plagued with jams on long prints. The hotend would jam after 3-4 hours of printing. After I added a fan to V3 the problem just vanished.

For V4 and pla it jams in 15 or 20 minutes without fan. So running without it is NOT recommended. I use a 40mm 12V fan from a pc shop. It fits into the gregs carriage and it works like a charm. I power it directly from the 12V supply. Quite easy of a update and I do not consider needing a fan a disadvantage. You do need one anyway to get decent small prints with PLA or ABS.
rcs
June 11, 2012 01:13PM
I have never used a fan or had a hot end jam with the V3. Thanks for the info regarding V4 I think I might get one and try it as it is shorter than the V3 I take it that you aim the fan at the heatsink..
June 11, 2012 01:57PM
I seem to be able to print PLA at 200C with a V4b without fan.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 18, 2012 12:56PM
V4b ?

Isnt the latess one V4?
June 18, 2012 02:30PM
No MK-4B was the latest when I bought it some time ago: [www.hotends.com]. There is now a MK5b [www.hotends.com]

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 18, 2012 02:56PM
AFAIK The B in Mk-4B just designates the heating element as Brass instead of AL
June 18, 2012 05:53PM
I like the Arcol V4 for two reasons: it's very compact and it has no PTFE or PEEK in the hot zone so it can be heated to 300+ degrees just fine, which opens possibilities for printing some kick-ass plastics like polycarbonate.
June 19, 2012 09:51AM
I have never used the Arcol.hu v4.0.5, but from my personal experience: DON'T GET THE J-HEAD. I have had nothing but problems with the three that I have. I also have the LulzBot Budhashnozzle, and I must say that that is the one to get. It is expensive but worth it. I have had no problems with it at all, and if you want to use a different tip, you don't have to get a whole new hot-end, like the J-Head. With the Budhashozzle, all you have to do is order a new tip, unscrew the old one, and srew on the new one. It takes 5 minutes. So from my personal experience, get the Budhashozzle. Plus you don't need a fan.
rcs
June 19, 2012 12:33PM
I think that you can change the tip with the Arcol V3 or V4 as here I have the V3.1 and not had any problems with it.
June 19, 2012 05:37PM
Acarius10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have never used the Arcol.hu v4.0.5, but from my
> personal experience: DON'T GET THE J-HEAD. I have
> had nothing but problems with the three that I
> have.

I have ordered and used several J-Head hot-ends and never had an issue. They do need a fan for PLA though.

What issues have you had with them?

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login