Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What does v2 refer to when people are advertising Prusa printed parts

Posted by DavidS 
What does v2 refer to when people are advertising Prusa printed parts
May 29, 2012 04:55PM
I'm new to RepRap, so sorry if this is a dumb question, but what does v2 refer to?
I'm looking into the Prusa, and the bill of parts at [www.reprap.org], but I'm not clear about version numbers

I understand the Prusa is a modification to the original Mendel, but are there multiple Prusa versions?

Thanks
Re: What does v2 refer to when people are advertising Prusa printed parts
May 29, 2012 07:18PM
The V2 simply has a bunch of minor improvements on the component designs - like making clamps a little stronger etc
Probably most significant would be allowing for metal linear bearings instead of plastic ones.
Mine was a"V2" set of plastic parts when I got them end of last year.
May 29, 2012 08:57PM
Yep using linear bearings instead of printed ones

May 30, 2012 03:02PM
Thanks

Is this also known as ABSPrusa?

[reprap.org]
May 30, 2012 06:06PM
More or less. The ABSPrusa has a mixture of V1 and V2 parts.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 30, 2012 08:02PM
The difference in ABSPrusa is that it uses different parts? I had guessed it just meant it used ABS plastic.

I'm working on a V2 Prusa right now (also my first RapRap). The "Buying/Building My First RepRap" thread might help you figure out where to buy parts and how to work through some of the steps that are a little foggy in the instructions. There are actually a few people who were getting started around the same time as me and it seemed like we were looking for a lot of the same answers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 08:07PM by MaFraL.
May 31, 2012 05:14AM
You can print any version in PLA or ABS. I guess James called it ABSPrusa because he regards being made of ABS is a selling point as it doesn't melt from the heat of the motors or the extruder. With a PLA machine you have to be careful, especially if you are printing ABS.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 31, 2012 11:47AM
ABS is a bit more forgiving of over tightened bolts as well, tends to flex a bit before it breaks, same thing if the printed captured nut orifices are slightly inaccurate and undersized, ABS will usually just move out of the way in PLA it can crack the part as the bolt is tightened.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login