Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to test stepstick

Posted by suciokastro 
How to test stepstick
October 06, 2011 09:10AM
Hi

I just received some stepsticks. Right now I only have an Arduino uno, Is there a simple schematic and code I can use to test my stepsticks

Thanks
Re: How to test stepstick
October 06, 2011 11:22AM
Maybe try this ?
[www.arduino.cc]

Edit oh sorry that's the stepper driver you want to test, not the motor. Disregard my dumb answer moody smiley

Edit2 : maybe this will be more appropriate. I believe stepsticks are pololu pin-compatible ?
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 11:34AM by DeuxVis.
October 08, 2011 10:00PM
Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for. I am going to test it
November 07, 2011 03:31PM
Where did you get the stepsticks and how do they compare to pololus?
November 09, 2011 01:47PM
You can use the code in the preflight test of RAMPS: [reprap.org]

Just make sure you wire it to the right pins (for example change the values below and connect these pins to the corresponding pins of your stepstick).

#define X_STEP_PIN 7
#define X_DIR_PIN 8
#define X_ENABLE_PIN 9

Please remember stepstick needs another voltage for the motors (from an external power supply, 12v is ok) and that all GND pins need to be connected to Arduino UNO GND and +5v needs to be connected to Arduino +5v too.

I hope this helps,

misan
February 20, 2013 02:37AM
I am also trying to get an arduino (UNO) to interface with a stepstick but to no avail. I know the driver works because I swapped it out with one on my sanguinololu and it worked normally. I have Teacup firmware flashed onto my arduino with digital pins 5, 6, and 7 connected to enable, step and direction, in that order. I also have both grounds connected to the arduino GND pin and vdd hooked up to the 5v supply on the arduino. Power for the motor is coming from an 18v laptop PS, and I have a 100uf capacitor connected between the VMOT pin and the ground from the PS. I know I have the motor connected correctly, and I know the arduino is responding to the commands I am sending it via pronterface because the step pin reads a positive voltage when I issue a move command, and recedes back to 0 when the move is done. I tried to wire everything on the breadboard following the schematic for the Sanguinololu / pololu interface. I am getting absolutely no response from the motor or electronics. No humming, buzzing or other electrical noises either. but when I plug the board into a sanguinololu everything works perfectly. whats the deal?
February 20, 2013 04:23AM
You need to drive the enable pin low. If the motor ins't energised when the power is connected it must not be enabled.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 20, 2013 01:30PM
so in the arduino IDE it would be like pin1(low)? what is th voltage i should be reading on the pin?
Anonymous User
February 26, 2013 01:33PM
nice question
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login