Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to 3d Printers

Posted by Mustang58lx 
New to 3d Printers
March 19, 2013 02:55PM
Hi This is my first post!

I've been reading for the past couple of weeks about 3d printers and looking at all different makes and models.

Since it would be my first 3d printer I figured I would go with a DIY kit but I have a few questions.

please give me your recommendation.

I was looking for something that can do larger prints like 305x305x305 possibly larger and have a good finish.

I was thinking I would want a 3d printer that used a 0.25 - 0.35 nozzle with .1mm layer height for a better finished look
right now it wouldn't matter to me if it takes a long time to print.

I would be want to be able to use PLA & ABS.

sorry if I have forgot to mention anything. I have many interruptions at work.

I do like the below printer for the fact that it can do 3 colors at once.
RepRapPro Tricolour Mendel FULL

and this one
GIGABOT

Thanks,
Jeremy

[www.rochoil.com]
Re: New to 3d Printers
March 20, 2013 02:12PM
As far as nozzle size goes, the majority of it comes down to the hot end. Most of them you can un-screw the nozzle and put on any size you want. Layer height comes down to whatever you set it to be so any bot will work. As far as usable print size I am not sure of all the bots sizes. My recommendation would be the Printrbot. You can extend the axis if you want which will give you a large print size. It is one of the most affordable repraps on the market and it is a great first reprap. A lot of people will buy a Printrbot learn about 3D printing inside and out. Then print out either there own design or another printer of there choice. I am currently building a Printrbot that has extended axis and a large print space if you want to see it click on my link. Its under the title, Printrbot Nintendo edition on my site. I posted an entire build log from start to current. If you have any questions feel free.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
March 20, 2013 10:21PM
Hi Jeremy,

Instead of kickstarter and 0.25mm for a first pass, I highly recommend trying a traditional build, like prusa, printbot, ultimaker, etc. If it were me, i'd make an ultimaker.

The issue with kickstarter is, poor prior support and you dont ever know when you will get it. Gigabot was overloaded with request after only 10 or 20 units and can't promise anything probably into 2014. 0.25mm nozzles work, but what I've read is that the nozzle will keep getting stuck and need to be uncleared. I print most things at 1mm, so I am sure 0.35mm is enough. Please remember that accuracy comes from the step resolution of the print, not necessarily minimum nozzle hole size - that defines the feature size limit. Technically, all nozzles have the same edge step accuracy, its just the minimum size and sharpness of corners that change.

Also, a 0.25mm nozzle takes twice as long to print than a 0.5mm nozzle (for clarity) it is not 4 times (nonzzle width, rather than area). So for 0.25mm vs. 0.5mm, all your prints will take twice as long and wont be as strong...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2013 10:22PM by Simba.
March 20, 2013 11:31PM
I too would stay away from kickstarter projects. Especially gigabot, I've heard a lot of bad things about them. Its never a good thing when a companies website has more pictures and information on their "team" then there actual printer. I to have heard that they are in way over there head with the number of bots ordered. This translates into bots being thrown together usually with the wrong or missing parts that are of sub par quality. For the money $2,500 + for gigabot you could buy or build an amazing machine. Spend the extra time researching, it will be worth it. Don't jump into something and like he said find a reprap that has a proven track record and a large following, this will help you if you run into problems or have questions which you will. I'm always available if you have any other questions.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
March 21, 2013 12:00PM
We actually had quite a few people asking about printers with large print volume, but most of us think that beginners are better off with a standard print bed size of 200x200mm since you will run into warping problems pretty fast if you print big.
Of course you can put the printer into a heated chamber (has to be better than hacked together with spare computer frame panels, corrugated cardboard and stuff lying around *ahem*) to combat warp.
If this doesn't deter you from super-sizing your first printer (after all, you can first print smaller stuff), the MendelMax or Mendel90 frames seem to be good options at the moment. I cannot speak about the MendelMax, but the Mendel90s that I have personally seen in action (uh, 14 already?) were printing consistently well without much calibration needed. The frame is very sturdy and scalable; in fact, there is one around with 400x400x??? print volume. If you have access to a CNC router or laser cutter, the frame will be a breeze to make. Else, you can download templates for manual cutting and drilling.
Both models are also available as kits or pre-built (in the case of the MendelMax, Lulzbot sells them under their own name; AO-101 IIRC) with standard sized print beds.
March 22, 2013 02:15PM
I have read all of your advise and thank you for the replies!

@uGen
you talked about the mendelmax so I checked out mendelmax.com and I'm thinking this will work for me.

but as before everyone please let me know your thoughts about it. heres the specs

Technical Specifications of the MendelMax 2.0
•Print Area Dimensions: 245 mm x 315 mm x 225 mm
•Print Area: 17,364.8 cm3
•Printer Dimensions: 450 mm x 340 mm x 460 mm
•Usable Maximum Print Speed: 250mm/sec or more depending on the part, print material, and extruder
•Usable Maximum Movement Speed: 500+ mm/sec
•Layer Height: .1-.4mm, user selectable. Lower layer heights are also possible.
•X & Y Axis Resolution: .0125mm
•Frame: All aluminum
•Movement: linear rail (X and Y axis), precision shafting and bushing (Z axis)
•Heated Bed: 24V 200W Heated Bed included
•Power Requirements: 110-220 VAC
•Hotend (complete kit only): J-Head Mk V-BV 0.4 mm / 3.0 mm

yes I know I should probally stay away from a BETA printer but they say All Beta testers will get free upgrades to parts that change for the final release.

also has anone seen or used these? and what are your thoughts about it?

Thank you,
Jeremy

[www.rochoil.com]
March 22, 2013 04:15PM
I don't have any experience with the medal Max though I have seen them running with great results. The beta 2.0 version looks like they are moving in the right direction. It seems to be a solid design and I'm sure it will have a great following. Those are my opinions, I think you would be in good shape buying one of these . The previous version is a proven design and they are improving upon it so its not the same as a design that is completely new or a kickstarter bot.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
March 22, 2013 05:49PM
Aren't all RepRaps constantly a little bit beta?

Since this is based on an already working design, it should be OK. Guess it is only the little details that are being changed around.

One thing you should be aware of is that the linear rails are polymer-based. The glide pads will need replacements after they wear out, but that won't happen anytime soon. According to my calculations, they could last 3 years with one medium-sized print per day. The positive side is that you won't need lubrication.
I have not tried the linear rail that is used for the Y-Axis on a printer, but a sample I received from the manufacturer (Igus) does exhibit some play, although probably not enough to affect print quality since play starts to be noticeable at applied forces far greater than those common for 3D printing. You can find a write-up about the polymer bearings here (you can ignore the first posts and jump straight to where I received the first samples).

Mechanically, the construction seems to be excellent.
If I was in the market for a printer, this would definitely be in my shortlist.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login