Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power Supply

Posted by KDog 
Power Supply
March 27, 2013 12:17AM
Have to share this. In my never ending attempt to find a single power supply that actually does the job I came across this page:

[lbmakersociety.org]

and ordered one of the power supplies off of ebay.

Yahoo!!! First power supply that I have come across that will actually run everything at once. No relay either...all connected to my RAMPS 1.4. I've tried modified ATX and the chinese 30A supplies and nothing worked on its own. Have always had to have two supplies. This one does the job. Very cool. Looks tidy and has an on-off switch too. Heats the bed in about 10 minutes.

KDog
Re: Power Supply
March 27, 2013 01:07AM
I'm a bit puzzled by this? A PC power supply should be totally adequate for the job.
March 27, 2013 01:20AM
There are plenty of folks having problems getting their heated bed to go past 80C. Troubleshooting these problems on the forum comes up with a lot of these kind of "puzzled" and "should" comments. All I can tell you is that I've modified one ATX power supply and tried two of the 12V, 30A supplies from China and have never gotten my printer to work with just one. Have always needed two to get the job done except with this one.
March 27, 2013 01:32AM
Yeah, maybe its just down to certain power supplies.
March 27, 2013 11:03AM
I use a 203watt 17amp Xbox 360 power supply which is essentially the same as this and it works well with only one psu.I can buy one for less then $5-8 . Same kinds deal it works better than my 350w 20amp at pshaw.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
March 28, 2013 03:17PM
Hey KDog,

Glad I could help! That was my tutorial on The Maker Society Website!

Those power supplies are tanks. We give them to all of the members that participate in our build series. We've had over 80 participants and I've only heard of one of them dying.

- Ben

~Stay Calm Out There
March 28, 2013 07:58PM
has anyone tried using one of those 36 volt power supplies, to run their steppers? i was thinking about getting one at some point, but i wanted to see if anyone had anything to say about them.
March 28, 2013 11:01PM
Thank You Ben!

I'm cruising ebay to buy another! Wish this info was on the reprap wiki. Very easy to mod and works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login