Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z Motor Pins on RAMPS

Posted by Yamster 
Z Motor Pins on RAMPS
June 29, 2013 10:13PM
Hello all,

I'm in process of building Prusa Mendel i3.

There are two z motors, and the RAMPS board I got in my kit has two sets of pins for z motors. Does anyone know if these pins are actually connected to each other?

The reason I am asking this is that my z motors came with a shared connector. If these pins are connected to each other, I can just plug this one shared connector to one of the sets, but if they are not connected, then I should split the connectors and connect each motor to each set of pins - driving two motors with only one circuit will be too much load.

I wish I can check the other side of the circuit board to see if each pins are connected, but there's another board under the top one (where the pins are located) so I can't see it. Am I ever going to move one of these z motors independently from the other one? Or, even if I am not going to do so, is the firmware and the board capable of controlling each z motor independently? If yes, then that would mean these pins are not connected. However, unfortunately, I haven't gotten to a point of operating/calibrating my printer yet, so I don't know...

Does anyone know?

Thank you!
Re: Z Motor Pins on RAMPS
June 29, 2013 10:17PM
Well, it didn't take me too long to find the RAMP circuit diagram, and I can see those two z motor pins are connected in parallel. In other words, I can plug the shared connector for both z motors to one of the pins.

I wish I have searched it before posting my question. Sorry about that. smiling smiley

Thank you.
Re: Z Motor Pins on RAMPS
June 30, 2013 08:58AM
yes but if your using marlin and ramps 1.4 and not to confuse you even more if your only having one hotend why not put your othe z on your e1 pin although just found out no benifits to doing so lol, so thats me changing my configuration around again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2013 09:07AM by chris33.

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login