Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder servo only performs 3 movements

Posted by johnleach2000 
Extruder servo only performs 3 movements
August 20, 2013 04:47PM
I have a RipRapPro tricolour machine and just commissioning it with the kits own controller. (So learning about it!)
All servos perform as expected using the Pronterface Programme save for the extruder servo (which upon some investigation) will only work for 3 operations, either extrude or reverse before stopping and locking on. This servo will only work again if the controller is switched off and then switched on again. I have tried it several times and it is 3 operations then locking. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the computer, but that has no effect. The board has to be powered down. The other servos work fine
Has anybody got any ideas if it is the board or software,or anything else???
Regards
Re: Extruder servo only performs 3 movements
August 21, 2013 05:39AM
I forgot to add that I have tried another servo, and this performs exactly the same.
August 21, 2013 02:22PM
i have put one of the output legs on an osciliscope and there is no steps being transmitted after the 3 operations of either exrude or reverse.
August 24, 2013 10:12AM
Being new to this game. and having expermiented and taken the extruder to pieces, replaced the servo, re-downloaded pronterface, used another computer, plus another copy of ponterface, I think that what I was trying to do was to extrude more than 3 times in a cold condition , which I would suspect, the software does not allow.
I reassembled all the bits together again and had a good print, so if anybody else does their testing and thinks that there is something wrong, (unless otherwise corrected) I think you need to press on as the rest seems to work OK.
August 24, 2013 11:25AM
Was the filament loaded when you ran the extruder with the hot end cold? If so that's a no no. : )

We all start out learning stuff the hard way like this. If you haven't done so already I encourage you to read the reprap page for your printer model and each if the pages for the specific parts if it. Top to bottom. I also reccomend you come here to read this forum on a regular basis. I think a lot of people only come here to post when they have an issue.

My piecs of immediately useful advice are:

• Don't skip over calibration.
• Learn about v-ref for your stepper drivers.
• Make damn sure your power supply is up to snuff. I only have a single head machine and I suspect that the accepted standard if 16 amps doesn't hold true. My printer didn't run right untill i added a second supply.
August 24, 2013 01:38PM
Appdev007- Thanks for that.
For others information, I did not have the hot end connected as I wanted to extrude the filament into open air to see what distance was being sent and compare, the designated computer control distance with actual. When after 3 extrudes (or 3 reverses or any combination) does not do anything more, then the components/ingredients get questioned.
Experience!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login