Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Irratic Steppers

Posted by hydronuclear 
Irratic Steppers
June 15, 2012 02:16PM
Greetings Reprappers

I have started building a wolfstrap to build a reprap, i have a ramps 1.4 with the pololu stepper controllers and have modified a 300 watt pc power supply

my issue is that my steppers seem to be a bit crazy,

I am using the test code to check my steppers, if I increase the delay or try print serial output the steppers start moving irratically and the drivers start heating up, I also have no load on the steppers for now, they arent connected to the axis

I did experience this with the sprinter firmware and was unsure why this happened until i started messing with the test code

I found the same issue with the microstepping on the RAMPS board aswell

Any assistance would be much appreciated
Re: Irratic Steppers
June 15, 2012 02:49PM
You probably have the pots on the drivers set too high, they can be really picky about the setting.
If it's moving without input or ticking without input then turn them down until it stops.
More current is not always better.
June 15, 2012 02:58PM
The motors stand still, the problem comes in when the code tells them to move, anything more than a second delay makes them jumpy
June 15, 2012 03:38PM
I had irradic stepper movements (vid here [www.youtube.com])

In my case a reflash of the firmware was enough, unable to reproduce. took me days to just try a reflash.
June 15, 2012 06:57PM
It looks like a motor with only one coil connected. Is is possibly you had a bad connection and disturbed it when re-flashing?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 16, 2012 06:13PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks like a motor with only one coil
> connected. Is is possibly you had a bad connection
> and disturbed it when re-flashing?

I don't know, multiple motors acted like this on multiple ports on my electronics. re-crimping one of my motors (irc advice) changed nothing. Re flashing instantly fixed all motors on all ports. perhaps it was just a freak incident/ moon out of phase with the mood of a random person on the earth.
It was just one of the hurdles for a new reprapper and i got it fixed, i just hope the topic starter does fix this without too much frustration.
June 17, 2012 04:18PM
Problem is fixed, I was looking around the pololu forum and came across this article Calibrating pololu stepper drivers

I calibrated the motors and I can now run it with serial output from test code
Still have a long way to go but I'll get there
Thanks for all the help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login