Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Glass reinforced silicone rubber

Posted by etmh 
Glass reinforced silicone rubber
October 26, 2013 06:08AM
Just wondering if anyone has tried using glass reinforced silicone rubber as a print surface.

I'm currently attempting to hack a printer together, made from bits of wood and the rails/motors from a few old printer/scanners - I have loads of bits of glass from the scanners but I've no idea how to go about cutting them to size.
Re: Glass reinforced silicone rubber
October 26, 2013 11:47AM
Your local big box / hardware store will cut glass to about any size you could ever want. A mighty big piece should be < $10.
October 27, 2013 10:49PM
Glass Cutting Cutter... [www.amazon.com]

How to... [www.youtube.com]

If you are making a Delta then:

Circular Glass Cutter... [www.amazon.com]

How To... [www.youtube.com]
October 28, 2013 04:23AM
Thanks.

I have one on order now - somehow I thought I'd have to buy something more expensive just to make a couple of cuts.
October 28, 2013 07:43AM
If you are going to cut by hand, be careful. It's not all that hard to do, but there is definitely a bit of a trick to it. Your first couple cuts probably won't be as good as you would like. Glass is cheap enough that practice isn't very expensive. Buy a couple extra pieces to save yourself a second trip to the store.
October 28, 2013 07:53AM
Yes, be careful, watched a video a month back where a guy was cutting glass for his printer and he did not realize how easy the glass separates after scoring it, he ended up dropping the glass when it snapped in two and it shattered and he was bleeding in the end... his cuts were not bad but it could have been worse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login