Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 keeps locking up

Posted by Horse Renoir 
Prusa i3 keeps locking up
April 25, 2014 08:22PM
Hey peeps,
I have a prusa i3 using ramps 1.4 and mega 2560 with marlin firmware that ive been using for nearly a year but its started locking up everytime i try printing. The first time it happened i was printing via SD card (i have the LCD) and was about an hour in to a 2 hour print and the printer simply locked up, the motors stopped, the heated bed/ hotend went off and the LCD was unresponsive with random charactors on the screen (see attached photo).

I switched it off and on again and it took about 20 attempts over the space of roughly an hour to get it to work again (i couldnt even reload the firmware during that time)

Ive reloaded the firmware successfully (i had to remove the ramps from the mega in order to upload the firmware to start with) and tried afew prints from the sd card and from the computer and it starts to print but locks up after roughly 10 - 15 minutes.

Has anyone had this issue before? im guessing its related to either the ramps or the mega,im leaning towards the ramps as it has resettable fuses on it (which were really hot to the touch after it locked up). I wouldnt mind buying a new ramps board if that was the issue but id like to hear your thoughts on this problem before i start buying things

Thanks
Attachments:
open | download - 20140424_222546.jpg (210.6 KB)
Re: Prusa i3 keeps locking up
April 27, 2014 06:31PM
I'm surprised no one has commented... I have only had issues probably related to cheap power supplies. Looks like you have something more sinister! winking smiley

I would just have to shut off and back on once to clear things up.

Yvan

Singularity Machine
April 27, 2014 07:48PM
Hi Yvan
Im suprised to that no one has commented, perhaps its not a common problem. Thanks for your insight, im using a 12v 30amp power supply, i moved the power supply so that it had better ventilation but again it locked up, i inspected the power supply and the only thing i could find that was possibly abit odd was that the fan was blowing outwards (sucking air out of the psu), i thought psu fans blew cool air into the psu cooling the components(i could be totally wrong), so i switched the fan round and have been able to run a 2 hour print twice and it hasnt locked up again yet. Im not saying the problem has gone but so far it seems to have, thats the problem with issues like this, they can come and go as they please, sadly i cant print at the moment due to the fact my Jhead clogged up on the last print and im having lots of issues trying to get it unclogged
April 27, 2014 08:23PM
Have you got a fan blowing over your yellow fuses?

April 27, 2014 08:36PM
The fuses on the ramps board? No I dont, should I?
April 28, 2014 05:45AM
Sorry, I posted that in the wrong thread

Click here to login