Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reversing Motors

Posted by tobig11 
Reversing Motors
May 18, 2014 07:03AM
I purchased a 3d printer, Prusa i3 kit, and put it together. Testing with Pronterface, the z axis go in reverse of what they should. When I push plus they go minus and when I push minus they go plus.
What iI would like to know is how to edit the, Marlin Firmware to change this. I know you can reverse the wires but I would like to learn how to edit the firmware.
I have never used a programming language., can you suggest a book I can get to learn how to program, for dummies like me?
Also the x axis when I push plus it will plus and other times it will when I push plus, it will go minus. The y axis is ok.
Re: Reversing Motors
May 18, 2014 10:21AM
turn the connectors on motors other away around on the board

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
May 18, 2014 10:40PM
Look for convert motor in the config h file. Changing true to false or the other way around changes the direction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2014 10:41PM by cat.farmer.
May 18, 2014 10:51PM
Just get turn the connectors around on motors don't need to mess with firmware

up and running
May 19, 2014 01:39AM
See [github.com] its call INVERT_{AXIS}_DIR
Ignore the comments in the code, they really arent based in reality.

I dont know why someone hasnt answered your queston before, this is simple stuff. Other than being a bunch of smart arses....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 01:41AM by Dust.
May 19, 2014 02:56AM
because there isnt a need to mess with the firmware like i keep repeating turn the connectors other way around and i aint a smart arse but know thats easier than changing the firmware

up and running
May 19, 2014 04:02AM
Re read original question. Asked how to do it in firmware, specifically.
May 19, 2014 05:31AM
Be nice, I may just turn the wires around. But my question readly is about the firmware. I don't like fooling with stuff like the firmware, but would like to learn how to do it. I know when you know how to change things in the firmware after a while it become easy. That is why I would like learn what to do.

Also, When you change the firmware, DO YOU, just save the change or do you have to upload it again?

Thank you Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 05:57AM by tobig11.
May 19, 2014 07:45AM
Most of configuration.h is easy enough to figure out, but some tutorials on C may help if you have problems understanding the language.

When you change the firmware, you need to recompile and re-upload the firmware. For this specific change, you need to alter line 310 assuming you have the most recent marlin. If you didn't compile your current firmware be aware that theres no way to pull your existing configuration.h from the board, or to backup and restore the existing firmware, so you're going to have to work with the default config.h and adjust it for your machine. On the plus side, its hard to get this catastrophically wrong, you are unlikely to damage the machine if you make a mistake.

If your current Marlin has EEPROM enabled, you can send M503 to get the firmware to give you your current steps/mm and so on, but by default this function is disabled meaning you'll need to recalculate them. No biggy if you understand the mechanical side of your machine. The other mandatory chance is on line 77, you have to tell the firmware which electronics you have.
May 19, 2014 12:53PM
Dust
See [github.com] its call INVERT_{AXIS}_DIR
Ignore the comments in the code, they really arent based in reality.

I dont know why someone hasnt answered your queston before, this is simple stuff. Other than being a bunch of smart arses....

Thanks Dust.. that is what I meant Invert.. to convert..
May 20, 2014 04:48PM
Thank you, Ed
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login