Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot End Melted

Posted by tophstar 
Hot End Melted
May 04, 2014 01:24PM
Hello All,

I had finally got my Prusa Mendel I3 running smoothly... wow what a labor of love (and six months). But last night, I noticed that the bass hot end was seated at an angle in the plastic casing. I unscrewed the hot end, but the casing is cracking when I try to screw the hot-end back in and the thread in the casing is permanently angled now. So now I am left with a few questions.

Has anyone else experianced this issue?

Did my hot end get to hot? I had the max temp set to 250 C.

Where do I get a replacement extruder end at a good price. I don't need the resistor...

If this is a normal Mendel i3 would the replacement extruder, do I look for a j-head hot-end?

I contacted the vendor that I bought the printer kit form, should I tell them that this is a defect that they should fix?

Thank You,
Tophster
Re: Hot End Melted
May 04, 2014 10:53PM
That is too bad! I consider 250°C to be over the limit for any hot end with plastic. If a thermistor is slightly off, it could mean the hot end is actually at 255° which is more than way over the limit...

I try to keep things at or under 240°C, since none of these systems are accurately calibrated.

I've bought about half a dozen genuine J-Heads, they are well made but are just as prone to heat damage as any other hot end with a plastic part(PEEK or PTFE).

Alternatively, I've used a couple of all metal hot ends from Eckertech, they cost a bit more bit can handle over 300°C. I like them, but not everyone needs one of those...

Yvan

Singularity Machine
Re: Hot End Melted
May 20, 2014 01:30PM
Update:

The vendor replaced the black casing part for my hot end. I'm up and printing again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login