Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Diagnosing Delta Printer Problem (lil help ? :] )

Posted by beamsaber 
Diagnosing Delta Printer Problem (lil help ? :] )
March 27, 2014 11:31PM
Here are some images of the problem:

Where would you begin to diagnose this? I don't think the belts are slipping, though they are looser than they could be I suppose, and I don't see any evidence that they are sticking on the rods.
My best guesses are maybe the gears are slipping on the motor shafts or the stepper drivers are missing steps?

The printer is a reprap/repstrapped Delta-Pi I built by hand.. which I know is not a very common build, but considering how similar it is functionally to a rostock, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction? smiling smiley

Any thoughts on how to best go about diagnosing?
Re: Diagnosing Delta Printer Problem (lil help ? :] )
April 28, 2014 06:18AM
Did you resolve this issue. I have the same problem
April 28, 2014 02:32PM
Are you by any chance using Simplify3d slicer? There is a discussion on their board about this.
April 28, 2014 02:59PM
No solution yet, no. The "wobble" may be due to my motor mounts being used as the feet of the printer currently. I think it is causing them to tilt (or at least one of them to) which causes the timing belt to "wobble" as the gear turns on the angled shaft. I am still at a loss as to why it is "sliding" though.
April 28, 2014 03:14PM
I would like to know more on how you assembled your printer, how you level your towers as well. It's important that they are leveled straight up and down. My guess is one of them is off, or your rod lengths are a little long on one axis.

Also what firmware are you using, Johan's? Or a Marlin flavour? You mind copy/pasting the results when you do a G29? Not that it matters with a print like this if your bed is leveled or not, but it would tell us how possibly skewed the towers are.
Are you pots calibrated, you getting the right amount of draw to the motors, they may be skipping steps, which would easily skew this.
You have the right PSU? Delta's have a need for more power because all 4 motors can move at same time (XYZE).
What Slicer are you using?

The issue with Delta's is that there is many issues that could lead to the same results.

Larsen -
May 25, 2014 01:38PM
Turns out, as was being speculated, that one of the rods was off.
A defect in one of the rod mounts (all were actually slightly off dimensions, but one is really bad) caused the whole thing to tilt.
The "wobble" in the print turned out to be the result of the motor mounts doubling as feet. The weight of the printer was causing the mounts to bend (they are rather triangular in shape). I added separate wooden feet to the rig and the wobble was gone.

Over the next week or two I will be re-printing all of the parts, as I have recently acquired a good many upgrades to my printrbot simple which gives me phenomenally better prints (more accuracy, no warping, less Y axis sagging, no printer jams due to overheating extruder motor etc).

Once all of the parts are printed I will be dissassembling and reassembling the whole printer, which will be a PITA but very necessary at this point. I will probably be posting here again either in jubilation or frustration after that smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login