Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wilson TS Build

Posted by verb.zero 
Wilson TS Build
July 03, 2014 10:56PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first RepRap, and decided to build the Wilson TS. I have got some questions while im building this and waiting on parts to come in.

I have started to build this printer with what can i get locally in mind. With this being said im in NC and trying to convert things over from the Metric system.

~First i sourced some all-thread from a bolt/nut store
~ Im NOT using m8 smooth rod, i have a feeling im going to regret this but found some 5/16 welding medal at lowes/home depot that is "smooth" just not finished with any coating. I cleaned these up with a polisher on a table grinder.
~Bought the plastic peices, bolt kit, hardware fasteners kit,and end stops from mjrice (created with the Wilson ts)

So far this is what i have done,

hbt4xgt.jpg

Everything has gone as expected, little hiccups for instance the lateral bearing holders are designed to have the zip ties go into them over the arch to secure a bracket for the MDF board. I ending up drilling holes in the back of it to stop the arch from touching the back of the bracket.

L0hTocE.jpg

This wasn't a deal breaker for me but i didn't wanna have to jerry rig something up, easy solution that i talked to mjrice about this, which he made a new model for me print and try with that taken out.

Watching the youtube video on how to construct this i realize that not every print will be the same, i had quite i bit of soldering iron work and drilling to do. I didnt want to drill out the bearing holder for the z axis so i pressed them in with a table vice...

htbBMsw.jpg

Other then that everything is going fine with the build, I still have some cleaning up to do.
One thing i do need to ask is on the "y axis" the smooth rods/extrusions are the same size on this build.
The smooth rods have some play in them and the extrusions do not, this could be because the plastic could have a set back in it. but would this cause a issue down the road?
I had some issues with the bearings not sitting correctly causing a shudder/sticky movement which I've since fixed but as i move the y axis mdf platform back and force it doesn't feel bad but not smoooooth... if that makes sense.

I am still waiting on some things to come like my micrometer (im doing this so far with a metric tape) Shaft couplers, I still have to order the controller module and the j-head which im going to order the one from hotends.com which is model mk V-BV at 1.75mm.

Cant wait to have this thing printing...

Random images:

cgUM2DM.jpg
ZDT3vTG.jpg
Re: Wilson TS Build
July 09, 2014 05:38PM
So i have made progress

ypnbV0z.jpg

The x axis would not slide on the smooth rods right so i ended up drilling out the right side (none motor side) and taping it do the point where it would slide, this might be a reprint later. No issues soldering anything so far though i dont have my controller till later this week everything is in play and ready I just have to source from 2 pin connectors for the mega

The extruder was interesting, a used a Jhead from hotends.com which game with the resistor and thermistor I bought two from them one for the jhead and the other for the mk2 heat board (lost that one) but i went off the wiki page for how to construct this and i think I did okay. I ended up using 18 awg on the resistor and 22 awg for the thermistor so i unsure if i will get a good reading or if it will work.

XUnzhNb.jpg

Thanks for taking a look =)
July 15, 2014 09:13PM
Got the controllers today and got the printer running, the LCD screen does work but i prefer to use the computer to control it for right now. I need help with D9 slot of the ramps, im getting constant power to both sides so my fan isnt wanting to run... all my motors, thermistors, and heaters are working. The D9 shows 9v and 11v any ideas?

[youtu.be]
July 17, 2014 10:03PM
Glad to see it's coming together - I wonder if you just connect the fan leads to +12V from your power supply, does it run ok then? The wire gauges sound ok to me.
July 18, 2014 04:46PM
I ended up taking a 80mm fan that has a molex connector on it and plugging it into the power supply.I cut the yellow wire and ran the red/black wire to a two pin connector to this slot on the ramps. KOjq6ri.jpg

the fan consistently runs but im not having any issues with the extruder heating up. Im also within 1.0-0.1mm when i took a look at calibrating it. One issue i have to fix before I get my filament is the bearing on the extruder with the m8 smooth rod, the bearing is touching the plastic and doesnt roll.I like the build so far.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login