Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

J-head assembly?

Posted by Rich K. 
J-head assembly?
November 16, 2014 08:00AM
I just bought a J-head Mk V-BV. A US-made hotend, this time, not Chinese:

J-head hotend Mk V-BV

Looks like, unlike my Chinese Mk IV clone, it uses a resistor instead of a heater cartridge. What can I use to hold the resistor and the thermistor in place that will still allow me to remove and replace them if necessary? I plan to wrap the end in Kapton tape once it is assembled, BTW. Can I just use Arctic Silver thermal paste for thermal conductivity and reply on the Kapton tape and a zip tie to hold the resistor and thermistor in, or is something stronger needed? If something stronger is needed, is it available in the US (I'm getting a bit tired of waiting for overseas shipments lately...).
Re: J-head assembly?
November 16, 2014 12:48PM
I first use heat transfer paste on the resistor, then I thread ptfe tube over the wires to insulate them and I then bend them flush to the sides of the peek bit. I then secure it with two narrow strips of E-Z Fuse self amalgamating tape. It withstands 500 deg F (and is made in the US). Better than Kapton for this application. Cable ties only work at the cold end of the peek bit, I have found.
I apply the tape strips top and bottom making sure the cooling fins are not obscured.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login