Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help to make a Touch Screen LCD for reprap 3D Printers

Posted by pmak 
Need help to make a Touch Screen LCD for reprap 3D Printers
January 23, 2015 04:35AM
Hello Friends,

This is Pmak and I am an Engineering Student cool smileyI was thinking of making a Touch Screen LCD for Reprap 3D Printers can anyonne suggest me on this.
I would like to make the Touch Screen LCD that can work with RAMPS 1.4 .
I have surfed lot but could not get a proper guide for this so thought of posting my question on this forum, It would be nice if anyone can help me in doing this.

Thanks in advance.
Pmak
smileys with beer
Re: Need help to make a Touch Screen LCD for reprap 3D Printers
January 23, 2015 06:02AM
I've heard about several solutions using a Raspberry Pi driving a standard arduino/ramps configuration. Some people just add a bluetooth module and uses their cellphone, even for several printers at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 06:06AM by Zavashier.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
January 23, 2015 06:12AM
Hi Zavashier ,

Thanks for your suggestion !

Is there any other solution then using Raspberry pi as I have seen many 3D Printers with Touch Screen LCD module such as Cube, etc....

Thanks
Pmak
January 23, 2015 07:06AM
January 23, 2015 07:10AM
Does the LCD used in the link mentioned uses RAMPS electronics ?

Thanks
Pmak
January 23, 2015 08:55AM
The Ormerod works with a Duet board. Not a Ramps. AFAIK, the Ramps is a board that does not controls any screen. It's the Arduino through Marlin. The ramps only dispatch the Arduino Outlets to implemented screens. It's a Marlin Issue. The supported screens by Marlin are described on the source below :
//LCD and SD support
//#define ULTRA_LCD //general LCD support, also 16x2
//#define DOGLCD // Support for SPI LCD 128x64 (Controller ST7565R graphic Display Family)
//#define SDSUPPORT // Enable SD Card Support in Hardware Console
//#define SDSLOW // Use slower SD transfer mode (not normally needed - uncomment if you're getting volume init error)
//#define SD_CHECK_AND_RETRY // Use CRC checks and retries on the SD communication
//#define ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP 1 // Increase if you have a high resolution encoder
//#define ENCODER_STEPS_PER_MENU_ITEM 5 // Set according to ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP or your liking
//#define ULTIMAKERCONTROLLER //as available from the Ultimaker online store.
//#define ULTIPANEL //the UltiPanel as on Thingiverse
//#define LCD_FEEDBACK_FREQUENCY_HZ 1000 // this is the tone frequency the buzzer plays when on UI feedback. ie Screen Click
//#define LCD_FEEDBACK_FREQUENCY_DURATION_MS 100 // the duration the buzzer plays the UI feedback sound. ie Screen Click
// The MaKr3d Makr-Panel with graphic controller and SD support
// [reprap.org]
//#define MAKRPANEL
// The RepRapDiscount Smart Controller (white PCcool smiley
// [reprap.org]
//#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER
// The GADGETS3D G3D LCD/SD Controller (blue PCcool smiley
// [reprap.org]
//#define G3D_PANEL
// The RepRapDiscount FULL GRAPHIC Smart Controller (quadratic white PCcool smiley
// [reprap.org]
//
// ==> REMEMBER TO INSTALL U8glib to your ARDUINO library folder: [code.google.com]
//#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER
// The RepRapWorld REPRAPWORLD_KEYPAD v1.1
// [reprapworld.com]
//#define REPRAPWORLD_KEYPAD
//#define REPRAPWORLD_KEYPAD_MOVE_STEP 10.0 // how much should be moved when a key is pressed, eg 10.0 means 10mm per click
// The Elefu RA Board Control Panel
// [www.elefu.com]
// REMEMBER TO INSTALL LiquidCrystal_I2C.h in your ARUDINO library folder: [github.com]
//#define RA_CONTROL_PANEL
So, AFAIK, there's no touchscreen impemented on Marlin. Marlin only uses/recognize lines-style menus. No graphic interface is possible and wanted because of arduino mega possibilites busy by printing operations, and no graphic interface is implemented. So, even if you're a hard core programmer, I'm affraid you cannot run that kind of screen by Marlin. That's why you need an external controler (kinda computer) with video abilities, able to run simulteaneously an OS that can use a touchscreen, and a graphic software (like repetier 4 ex) to control the printer through an interface port (USB, Bluetooth, whatever...). Arduino/Ramps couple cannot do that. Sorry for the teaching.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
January 23, 2015 09:39AM
pmak
Does the LCD used in the link mentioned uses RAMPS electronics ?

Thanks
Pmak

Why don't you just follow the link and read it for yourself!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login