Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Switch Question

Posted by Edward99 
Switch Question
February 27, 2015 09:50AM
A question about end stops, I am a CNC user and have built a 3D printer. On a CNC the switches are limit switches in that they stop all movement in the X Y & Z axis as a safety feature to prevent damage to the machine. I know in 3D printing the switches are used for homing but they don’t act as safety switches if you loose steps and things go wrong. I notice that when the switches are activated on the 3D printer during a print nothing happens. Did I miss something in the configuration or is this how the printer works?
Re: Switch Question
February 27, 2015 10:52AM
Most 3D printer firmwares use the switches only for homing. There is a lot less force available in a 3D printer than in a CNC machine, so attempting to drive a motor beyond the physical limit of the machine doesn't have such severe consequences. However, some 3D printer control firmwares do have the facility to prohibit movement beyond the limits of the machine, once the axes have been homed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 10:53AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login