Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Impressed!

Posted by EnigmaticEngineer 
Impressed!
July 15, 2015 11:25AM
After I got my FolgerTech I3 running, one of the first things I printed was a 30mm calibration cube.

30mm comes out to 1.1811" (inches)

Upon measuring the cube I find it to be no more than .002" (.05mm) out in Any axis. (and btw, as an Aerospace Engineer, I have access to very accurate inspection equipment)

I'm not even sure if it would be worth while trying to calibrate the steps per mm in the firmware.

SOOO incredibly impressed.

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge here on the forum.

Nathan.
Re: Impressed!
July 15, 2015 12:17PM
Congrats! Now, Print Stuff!
July 15, 2015 12:23PM
I have been haha...Like a Mad Man.

Regretfully, my job keeps me away from home 4-5 days a week (I work about 100miles away from my house) so I only get to play on the weekends.

I'm looking forward to building another printer, this time from scratch instead of a kit. I'm going to build one that is much larger.

Using two of these (Large Heatbed) I plan to build a setup that will do 2ft cubed just for the hell of it.

Nema 23's should be sufficient I suspect.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me so far, and thanks in advance to everyone who will help in the future.

Nathan.
July 15, 2015 01:27PM
When you start designing the new monstrosity, you may find some useful info here: [www.instructables.com]

I wish you continued luck with your i3!
July 15, 2015 02:25PM
EnigmaticEngineer
I have been haha...Like a Mad Man.

Regretfully, my job keeps me away from home 4-5 days a week (I work about 100miles away from my house) so I only get to play on the weekends.

I'm looking forward to building another printer, this time from scratch instead of a kit. I'm going to build one that is much larger.

Using two of these (Large Heatbed) I plan to build a setup that will do 2ft cubed just for the hell of it.

Nema 23's should be sufficient I suspect.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me so far, and thanks in advance to everyone who will help in the future.

Nathan.

Nathan

Those heatbed's are very expensive and with 2 of them you will need 4 x 20amp+ 12V psu's.

I Think you would be better going for a Main's powered Silicon heater with a AC/AC SSR for the switching this way not only is the Power easier to manage but will be much Cheaper (and will probably heat much quicker as well.

something like 600mm x 600mm (24 inch sq) silicon heatpad

HTH Doug.
July 15, 2015 03:23PM
Thanks for the advice, I was just researching different heat bed options, realizing that the one I mentioned probably wouldn't be the best way to go.

Nathan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login