Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gray cell exercise

Posted by elwood127 
Gray cell exercise
August 12, 2015 11:59PM
Hey all, I'm sure that some of you have experienced loosening of your filament on the roll while printing. Because of the retract action I'm seeing meters of filament backing up with coils trying to eclipse the edge of the spool. This is hazardous at best. I cut a piece of foam into a "U" shape and placed it between my spool holder arm and the spool. It keeps the spool from rocking back and forth eliminating the unraveling of the filament. Obviously I will inhance my fix. I figured that you, like me, are always looking to design and create cool things for your printers that this would stimulate some thought and creativity. I thought it would be fun to see what you come up with.

Re: Gray cell exercise
August 13, 2015 07:22AM
This is what I want to do with filament to eliminate the possibility of tangling on the spool- get rid of the spool:

[www.reelex.com]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
August 13, 2015 05:15PM
Cool idea.
August 13, 2015 10:35PM
Here is my updated version of the spool brake. Simple and works.

August 14, 2015 02:53PM
Dentist: That sounds awesome. I have an acquaintance who works with fiber optic cables which can't be kinked, and he uses figure-eights to store cable. Any ideas on how to either convert a spool to that, or have them spool it that way at the factory?
August 17, 2015 11:14AM
You just need a spring loaded flap attached to the printer in the OPs pic to hold pressure on the filament as the spool turns. In his configuration the flap would be at the back of the spool pointing up towards the direction of feed.
August 17, 2015 10:12PM
another way i used for sometime is to mount the spool on a 8/10 mm rod without the bearings. the spool will be eccentric so wont unwind so quickly !!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login