Posted by pavlodeneka88 
Prusa i3 Temperature Issue
September 16, 2015 01:09PM
I have the following initial configurations:

• Device: Prusa i3
• Board: Melzi 2.0 Ardetntissimo with ATMEGA1284P
• Extruder Thermistor: 100K 1% high-precision NTC
• Bed Thermistor: 100K NTC 3950

I am using Marlin Firmware from www.github.com. The problem that I have faced is about incorrect thermistor temperature readings from both, Extruder and Heat Bed. The first one showed room temperature around +45 and the second one was around -7. After an extensive search, I figured out that I should replace two 103 resistors (10KOhm; R4 and R5) with 4701 resistors (4.7KOhm, 1%) on the Melzi Ardentissimo board. After the resistor replacement I got totally different readings:

• Extruder is +23
• Bed is -20

I still do not understand why the bed temperature is so low. When I heat it up with a soldering iron the readings go up. Looks like it is something related to firmware. I tried changing thermistor settings in Marlin but no luck. In addition, this version of Marlin does not have thermistor tables.

Any suggestions?
Re: Prusa i3 Temperature Issue
September 17, 2015 07:21AM
Hi,

Check you have the good thermistor settings in Marlin.

++JM
September 17, 2015 11:11AM
It must have a lookup table, I doubt they have a arithmatic algorythm in place. Maybe they've merged the tables with other header files. Do a text search in the folder. Do you have a link to the fw code?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2015 11:12AM by imqqmi.
September 17, 2015 11:52AM
Yesterday I figured out that they do use arithmetic algorithm for calculation temperature. Here is a code source link: https://github.com/reprappro/Marlin/tree/master
September 17, 2015 11:55AM
You were right. The thermistor settings was wrong. I got a technical support answer from RepRapPro. They said that with their Marlin version I am able to change the thermistor settings without compiling and uploading new version by using the following G-Code:

1. M304 H0 B 3980 //Sets BETA value
2. M304 H0 T 100000 // Sets thermistor value
3. M500 // Saves information to EEPROM
September 17, 2015 12:24PM
I stand corrected! Thanks for sharing the solution!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login