Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendel 3 Tricolour -- Wiring & Calibration

Posted by Stevie-O 
Mendel 3 Tricolour -- Wiring & Calibration
September 29, 2015 02:11PM
Not sure if this is the best place for this, but since it's well after 5PM in the UK, I'm posting here instead of just sending it to RepRapPro support.

So we finished building our Mendel 3 as a mono, did some test prints (they came out remarkably well!), and are ready to update it to full Tricolour status. Unfortunately, there are three issues that I'm not sure how to deal with from the instructions provided:

1. Connection for second cooling fan

The wiring diagram here (https://reprappro.com/documentation/multi-materials/electronics/, specifically [reprappro.com]) doesn't specify where to connect the 2nd set of fans. It was pretty self-evident how to deal with the 2nd hot-end fan, but the obvious place for the 2nd cooling fan doesn't seem to work (it won't seem to turn on, no matter what I do.)

2. Configuration for tool 127

The page here (https://reprappro.com/documentation/multi-materials/commissioning/) mentions:

M563 P127 H1 D0:1:2:3:4             ; Tool 127 allows the web interface to control all drives and heaters

Now, due to the description 'all drives and heaters', I would have expected this to be "H1:2:3". However, I'm not certain under which circumstances that tool 127 is actually used, so I can't speak for certain.

3. X offset calibration

On the same page as the one mentioning 127, it says to "configure the X offset" but there's no guidance I can find on how to appropriately calibrate this.

- Stevie-O
Real programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE
Re: Mendel 3 Tricolour -- Wiring & Calibration
October 04, 2015 05:52AM
Hi Stevie,

Did you find an answer for the connection for second cooling fan? also where to connect the 2nd hot-end fan? If you figured it out please attach a picture

Thanks,
Tami
Re: Mendel 3 Tricolour -- Wiring & Calibration
October 04, 2015 06:05AM
1. The Duet 0.6 has only 1 PWM fan output (the FAN0 pins). So if you have a second print cooling fan, connect it in parallel with the first one.

2. I agree, it should be H1:2:3. But I don't see the point in having tool 127 anyway.

3. Configure the X offset of each head using the G10 command. Decide where you want the reference point of the print head to be (on my 2 nozzle system I use half way between the two nozzles), and define the position of each nozzle relative to that point e.g. I use G10 P0 X-11 and G10 P1 X11 because my 2 nozzles are 22mm apart (I have a Ormerod, not a Mendel).

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login