Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2 beds, 1 source?

Posted by Zzyzxx71 
2 beds, 1 source?
February 17, 2016 09:54AM
I'm in the process of building a coreXY with a print volume of ~ 300mm x 600mm. for the heated bed I'm using a pair of 300x300 12v beds.

Any recommendations regarding wiring them up to activate off of a standard Ramps? I'm OK with only getting a reading off of 1 of them. Not too worried about the bed temps being exactly identical.

Obviously multiple power supplies and at least 1 relay would be required.

Edit: Has anyone wired up multiple heated beds in series? Is it feasible to do so and use a 24v power supply and an SSR for activation?

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2016 10:18AM by Zzyzxx71.
VDX
Re: 2 beds, 1 source?
February 17, 2016 11:03AM
... I've built several heating beds for thermo-glue dispensing with up to 8 heater modules.

The wiring depends on available PSU's and the modules voltage and current - some of them were powered from the line and switched on with AC-SSR's, in others I've used 12V-modules in 4x-series powered with 48V-PSU's and switched with DC-SSR's ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2016 02:27PM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 17, 2016 02:45PM
I think I should be able to do this with a 24v PS, and wire the beds in series, then use a DC/DC SSR to activate.
February 17, 2016 04:04PM
Zzyzxx71
I think I should be able to do this with a 24v PS, and wire the beds in series, then use a DC/DC SSR to activate.

Don't use a cheap DC-DC SSR from ebay, they are pretty much useless because of the high voltage drop. Better would be use use decent 24V-capable electronics instead of RAMPS, then you can drive the bed heaters directly without needing an SSR.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2016 04:05PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login