Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X and Y motors not moving properly

Posted by LukeTansell 
X and Y motors not moving properly
April 14, 2016 10:29AM
G'day everyone!

Building custom reprap, but my X and Y motors aren't moving. When I use the LCD to try and move the axis, the motors make a high pitched squealing sound, and sit there 'tapping'. My Z motors are moving perfectly, and I've swapped driver boards around and the drivers aren't the issue. I have the 3 jumpers underneath each drivers. Here's a video of my problem:

Video of problems

If you can help, I'd be super appreciative! Also, if you need more info, just ask! smiling smiley
Re: X and Y motors not moving properly
April 14, 2016 10:45AM
Bad link.

Did you set the motor current? Are the drivers getting hot? Are there any mechanical problems that keep X and Y from moving?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
April 14, 2016 11:06AM
Hopefully the link works now! Cheers for replying!

So from what i understand, the motor current is changed with the POD on the driver? If so, I've tweaked it, and it just intensifies or dulls the 'tapping' sound from the motor.

I have active cooling with a 50mm fan across the drivers, all with heatsinks over the silicon chips. They don't seem to get hot.

I currently have nothing hooked up with my Y motor (Just a belt loosely wrapped around the cog) and while I do have my X-axis all hooked up, it moves quite smoothly

Cheers, again
April 14, 2016 11:12AM
Meter the motor wiring to make sure the pairs are correct. Don't rely on the motor colour codes

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
April 14, 2016 11:18AM
As odd as it may sound, do you know of any resources to show me how to do that?

ps. did the link work?

EDIT: when i plug the X and Y motors into the Z driver they work,is that normal?

Luke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2016 11:22AM by LukeTansell.
April 14, 2016 12:15PM
If that works then the motor wiring is OK
April 14, 2016 05:22PM
I think that you try ti turn the motors way to fast , so lower the mm/s divided by 10 en try again.

P3steel DXL, with Due/RADDS/Raps128 dual Wade's extruder
April 15, 2016 02:09AM
I've reduced the feedrates to like 10mm/sec and it didn't help. I've attached a screenshot of my feedrates, jerks etc.

Luke
Attachments:
open | download - marlin SC1.png (90 KB)
April 15, 2016 02:42AM
Your eeprom can override these values

use M503 to see what the values it is actually using
April 15, 2016 03:05AM
I'm going to sound like an absolute dumbass, but what's an eeprom? And the M503 command, do i need to send it through a host software of some sort?
April 15, 2016 07:51AM
eeprom is a electronic chip that stores information, in this case printer setting.

The idea is that you can change a setting, send a M500 and its saved to eeprom and you don't have to re flash the firmware all the time.

This issue is that the eeprom once used takes precedence to the values in firmware. The result if you don't know what is going on is that you update the firmware all you like, the new setting just get ignored

M503 Print settings [reprap.org]

You you need a client of some sort, Pronterface or cura etc, both allow you to send raw command to the printer

NB you can turn off the eeprom and just ignore it if you think its causing you issues
Find the line #define EEPROM_SETTINGS in your configuration.h and comment it out (by adding // to the front of it) and re-upload the firmware

If you have never used a computer to control the printer, its unlikely this is a problem for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2016 07:54AM by Dust.
April 16, 2016 07:54AM
Fixed!! Thank you for the advice, i had no idea eeproms were a thing. I simply plugged my machine into my laptop, opened repetier host, connected to my machine, went into manual movement menu and clicked one of the axis, and they are moving beautifully now!!

Although the x axis is a bit dicky so i may need a new driver haha
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login