Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LCD controller board

Posted by Undermentioned 
LCD controller board
April 15, 2016 08:58AM
Hi all

Nearly got my 3d printer done that Im working ondrinking smiley

I did not order a lcd controller with my ramps so I was wondering if anybody has any info on how to make one because I have lcds, buttons, speakers, perf board and encoders lying around the only thing I need to get is a sd card reader but thats very cheap.

I cant really find anything useful on google.
So please any info or schematics will be very helpful.

Thanks
M............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2016 09:00AM by Undermentioned.
Re: LCD controller board
April 15, 2016 01:19PM
First, use the 4 line character type LCD module, not the graphics type. The Arduino is already working hard just to handle 3D printing and the added overhead of a graphics module is known to cause problems.

Second, though you may have all the bits and pieces, wiring your own module and debugging it will take many 10s of hours, and will it be reliable when you're done?. The assembled modules are so cheap (about $25) that it would be a better use of your time to spend it learning CAD software or almost anything else. As a former engineer and all-around geek, I'm not opposed to DIY in general, but things that are readily available for low cost just aren't worth the hassle of DIY.

Unless your time is worth only $1 per hour...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
April 16, 2016 03:42AM
Thanks for your reply.

Yes you right its not really worth the trouble but what gets me is I can order from ebay and they are about $12, but its the shipping that takes forever (about 6 weeks).
I can buy it locally but thats about $65 which is such a ripoff seen as there stuff comes from ebay too.

Anyway I think I will just order one and be patient (which is not easy).
April 16, 2016 12:46PM
Undermentioned
Thanks for your reply.

Yes you right its not really worth the trouble but what gets me is I can order from ebay and they are about $12, but its the shipping that takes forever (about 6 weeks).
I can buy it locally but thats about $65 which is such a ripoff seen as there stuff comes from ebay too.

Anyway I think I will just order one and be patient (which is not easy).

Where are you in the world?
April 16, 2016 04:34PM
There are a lot of LCD controllers on Thingiverse. My own contribution is [www.thingiverse.com] I think that I have put all of the info that you need in there along with layouts for the PCBs, wiring, STL files for the enclosure etc..

Mike
April 16, 2016 08:33PM
Undermentioned: Don't just buy one if you can make one! You'll learn more this way.
April 17, 2016 10:49AM
Dougal
Where are you in the world?
I am in South africa

Thanks Mike I had a quick look at your stuff, its very clear and simply put,I might just try it, before I posted here I did find one on Thingiverse but its not very well documented so didnt help much.

Epicepee, Yes I know ill learn more, a person never stops learningsmiling smiley,the only thing is time which I dont have much of but Im sure I can make it in a day and hope I dont need to trouble shoot anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login