Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Almost done building my first RepRap (Rapidbot - Orca .4)

Posted by rlaboris 
Almost done building my first RepRap (Rapidbot - Orca .4)
August 03, 2012 03:22PM
Received a big box full of hundreds of parts and bolts (Makemendel.com).
Last night I just finished adding the opto flags and will try to print tonight... Any suggestions?

I did test all the functions and everything seems to be working - all axis are functional...
Had to play with the z axis motor controller trim pot because it kept clicking at some points in travel... I guess the threads are not perfect... A little more power seemed to do the trick...

Last issue I had was with the extruder... Seemed to be VERY hard on the motor.... Not sure the actual size of my nozzel, but it seems VERY tiny compared to the 3mm plastic thread...
Maybe my temp was too low? Had it set to 130 for PLA.

I'll post some pics tonight...
Re: Almost done building my first RepRap (Rapidbot - Orca .4)
August 03, 2012 04:07PM
Your guess is correct.
Melting point of PLA is somewhere between 150-160 (see here: [en.wikipedia.org] ).

I just finished building a RepRap as well and recognized that the measured temperature by RepRap electronics differs up to 10°C from the actual.
So if you have a thermometer you could determine if your set temperature is good or not.

Reading some posts, blogs, etc. led me to the conclusion, that best printing is somwhere between 180 and 200°C.

Hope this will help smiling smiley
August 03, 2012 11:40PM
You need at least 160*C depending on the hot end, filament, and accuracy of your thermistor table. The nozzle hole should be tiny in comparison with the 3mm filament - something ≤0.5mm diameter.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 10, 2012 04:29AM
am i right to say

the smaller the extruder hole
the more fluid you need your filament to be
and thus the higher the temp?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login