Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

--- is there a thread on using netfabb with reprappro mendel? ---

Posted by redreprap 
August 06, 2012 07:02PM

is there any?

im interested to know if i can buy the netfabb SW from ultimaker and use it on reprappro's mendel? or i must use something of arduino "engine" to integrate with netfabb?

cheers
Re: --- is there a thread on using netfabb with reprappro mendel? ---
August 07, 2012 12:34PM
Having not used Netfabb's Ultimaker specific software my answer is pure speculation but I would say no. The ReprapPro Mendel seems to be using a different electronics configuration and has a different build volume. When I looked into using the Ultimaker / Netfabb software it became pretty apparent that it was only going to be usable with an Ultimaker.

Any particular reason you want to buy Netfabb's software engine? There are plenty of freeware / opensource solutions (repetier, pronterface, replicatorg) which are user friendly and work very well for slicing, controlling and printing on your Mendel.
August 07, 2012 03:52PM
well i've been reading from what users seem to imply, netfabb has a good algorithm going in terms of control software and print "behavior". i am inclined to think that they did some research on how should a additive print head behave in an active print or something like that from their larger pro applications and from their algorithms that kind of re-analyzes the printed shape in a different manner pre-print to get a smoother output?

of cos all that above are just from whats been put out on the web by users. i m really new to this, no machine on my table to try right now, so im just gathering info.

from netfabbs web, they seem to have tied up with ultimaker, and a few others. makerbot has a netfabb version in the making it seems. and from the looks of it, netfabb basic purchase version can be bought off hand and applied to certain models, and at this point i am only guessing, reprap that uses only arduino? im not sure. or isit because of marlin firmware ?

atm im trying to research to make a really small reprap to built a huge reprap ... or i might just built the huge 1 str8 off ...
August 07, 2012 04:06PM
I'd be interested in this kust to see a real comparison of slicing by a commercial program and Skeinforge/Slic3r.
Predominantly I'd be interesting in it's approach to support, and how easily removed it is.
I've been using Kisslicer recently and I prefer it to both of the open source offerings.
August 07, 2012 04:28PM
I'm not sold yet. I'd be willing to try Netfabb but after a conversation with a distributor they do not offer a trial for the Reprap engine. It might have a slight improvement in build quality over some of the open source projects but I'm not about to drop $200+ to find out; especially when I am get extremely good results with the workflow I'm using (Repetier). Kisslicer is interesting, but again, I couldn't find much on the description of the software that wasn't available in Repetier. Everyone has their own preferences for host software and so long as you are getting good results it doesn't really matter.

If you want some information about using Netfabb for Reprap check out this wiki.
August 10, 2012 04:14AM
ok ima noob question this ...

all reprap have this thing call layer resolution, like 0.3mm? or how is this parameter realised? i know many users play with thier machine to fine tune heating and stepper performances to come to a certain speed adjustment and resolution refinement. i am wondering how can a slicer software put its weight behind this part of the process.
VDX
August 10, 2012 05:49AM
... you have two corresponding resolutions - first the layer height in Z, whats defined by nozzle orifice and 'filament-compression' (something between 0.7 to 0.1mm) ... second the mechanical resolution/accuracy of your setup, what's mostly around 0.1mm in XY.

With a different machine and fabbing process you can go as 'coarse' as some millimeters for fabbing macroscopic parts (e.g. fabbing houses with concrete) or down to some microns for SLS or SLA.

For example - I'm building a SLS/SLA-system based on my CNC-mill with around 0.01mm resolution/accuracy in XYZ and 0.02mm laser focus diameter, what's pretty easy to create as G-code with 'extrusion width' and 'layer height' set to this resolutions ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 10, 2012 06:12AM
What kind of build time are we looking at with this resolution?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
VDX
August 10, 2012 08:34AM
... depends on the processing speed per 'voxel' - with moving the laser head on the CNC it's limited to the max. speed of the mechanics (around 2m/s) ... when scanning with the SLA-system the limiting factor is the melting parameters of the powder, maybe 30m/s.

So with UV-curing resins better use a modified DLP-beamer for instantly curing a complete slice, instead of drawing lines ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2012 08:35AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

August 10, 2012 08:41AM
i see ...

so irregardless of what the tool is (extruder, milling, laser, etc)

if i can make the XYZ mechanisms to be able to resolve higher resolution, the more "useful" it will be ...

so it will be safe to say, by adding a ratio to the generic stepper motor (hopefully no backlash), a 3 to 1 reduction would definately improve resolution in sacrifice for speed. so after this to increase speed ... what would 1 do? increase size of stepper motor + drivers?
August 10, 2012 08:49AM
What I like about the DLP resin beamer is that the mechanics are much simpler.
Only a z-axis plus a rotater to free the object from the bottom of the resin try before raising the z level.
It should also be much quieter, only the noise of the DLP beamer fan for the most part.
But it's a accuracy is at best 50 microns and not the 10 or 20 microns that you mentioned.

Of course cleaning with isopropyl alcohol afterwards is not fun, but not that messy either.
And letting it sit in the sun for a day also presents no problem.

I am still thinking about building a B9 Creator. smiling bouncing smiley

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
VDX
August 10, 2012 09:16AM
... the resolution of a DLP-fabber is in the first step defined by the optical setup (size and resolution of the 'image') and additives in the resin - with highly absorbing colours mixed in the resin you can set the curing depth to some microns ...

In a next step you can change the light source - one of my lasers is a pulsing TAE N2 laser with 371nm wavelength, pulse durations from 100 to 300 picoseconds with pulse-powers up to 400kW and up to 30Hz repetition rate.
With this as light-source for a DLP-chip without any additional optics I'll have a perfect tool for UV-curing (with lowest powers) or micro-surface-treating (with highest powers) with resolutions defined by the square-size of the single mirror-elements of the DLP-chip (currently around 10 microns).

For even finer resolution the image-area/pixel-size can be reduced with focussing optics ...

Viktor
--------

August 10, 2012 09:20AM
ah ... something like UV cured .... i cant find any info on the material cost ... like 3mm filaments are about 40/kg +/- ...
VDX
August 10, 2012 09:44AM
... I've got a bottle with 1 litre (or 1.5kg material) from Fernando for around 80 Euros excl. shipping ...

Viktor
--------

August 10, 2012 03:18PM
i see, cost of material is higher. but i am guessing the finish must be very smooth? how does material deposition work on those?
VDX
August 10, 2012 03:24PM
... should depend on used chemicals - you can test this with different 2K resins ...

Viktor
--------

August 10, 2012 03:26PM
is there a wiki on B9? or it has another root name?
VDX
August 10, 2012 03:34PM
... there are many develoments around - look here for an example: [garyhodgson.com]

Viktor
--------

August 10, 2012 03:42PM
No wiki but a homepage.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
August 10, 2012 04:01PM
tnx for the link !

hmmm this photo-active resin certainly is amazing. very nice resolution esp for miniatures.

but ima keep my hands on PLA food safe stuff for a start grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login