Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper Motor Torque curve versus rpm

Posted by AquaticsLive 
Stepper Motor Torque curve versus rpm
October 31, 2016 03:27PM
Just did some testing over the weekend and googling of torque curves of stepper motors and max rpm. Probably a no brainer for some of you, but really taught myself something so figured I would share it or at least post it here for my future self lol.

So its always a give and take relationship when it comes to speed and accuracy we all know that. My problem more recently has I upgraded my X-Axis to a higher gearing to give me more accuracy. Well the trade off to that is that the motor has to spin at higher rpm's to move the printhead. So this is where my knowledge of stepper motors was lacking. So with stepper motors as the rpm increases the torque of the motors drops off almost a cliff a very steep drop off from nearly full torque to hardly anything. So what happened to me was it would accelerate and then stop and start skipping around.

These numbers are not real at all but just giving an example of how the torque curve matches the rpm and practical outcome.
Nema 17 68oz torque Max rpm 1000 Motor stalls at 200rpm because the torque at 200rpm is 10oz not enough to keep the printhead moving.
Nema 23 172 oz torque Max rpm 500 Motor stalls at 350rpm because the torque at 350rpm is 10oz not enough to keep the printhead moving.

So although the Max rpm of a Nema 23 is lower it can move the printhead allot faster. There are big trade offs when it comes to weight so not simple solution but it helped me figure out the math on my latest project.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 03:32PM by AquaticsLive.
Re: Stepper Motor Torque curve versus rpm
October 31, 2016 05:48PM
When using constant current drivers as we always do on 3D printers, the speed at which torque starts to drop off depends heavily on the voltage of the power supply to the drivers. That's one of the reasons why high speed printers generally use 24V power, not 12V. See [duet3d.com] for more.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Stepper Motor Torque curve versus rpm
November 02, 2016 12:04PM
I am actually using 48VDC but yeah tested with 24VDC as well. I am using the THB6064AH MassMind.org Stepper Motor Driver for testing gives me a bigger range to work with.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login