Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PETG for Prusa i3 reworked

Posted by sidhabo 
PETG for Prusa i3 reworked
March 18, 2017 04:33PM
Need transparant filament. My supplier says he only have for PETG.
I mostly use ABS, sometimes PLA.
Haven't tried PETG
Any issues for Prusa i3 and PETG ?
Seen some comments on nozzle clug up and more sensetive to printing parameters
What's your latest on PETG ?

Ha det gött
Bosse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 04:35PM by sidhabo.

Prusa i3 Reworked, Delivered March 28 2014, RAMPS 1.4
Göteborg, Sweden
Re: PETG for Prusa i3 reworked
March 18, 2017 05:14PM
Tjena Bosse! smiling smiley

I do run a PTEG.

It seems to be run at gentle speeds. Say 30-45mm/s. I have also gentle retracton.
I do print quite hot then most.
255C att nozzle. 85 bed. Fan at about 40%

Gött mos! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 05:15PM by SatorCodex.
March 18, 2017 06:12PM
oki thanks for feedback. 30-45 speed bit lame What printer you have ?
I run 50 like for safe level.. Do you mean lower than
50 is to make PETG work ?
What speed do you run for e.g. ABS ?
Goda moset smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 06:13PM by sidhabo.

Göteborg, Sweden
March 19, 2017 12:52AM
I also run PETG at 30mm/s. Slow but print quality is good. Although it will work at 50-60, you can experiment with that speed and see if the print quality is adequate for your needs.
I run ABS at 60mm/s without a problem.
March 19, 2017 07:50AM
Thanks for feedback. Guess I'll just have to go ahead and try it out. The most worry I have is if there is problem with filament stuck/clog in nozzle.
Ha det gött
Bosse

Göteborg, Sweden
March 20, 2017 10:33AM
Biggest issue with PETG is it likes to stick to itself. This can often result in filament balling up and sticking to the nozzle until it is deposited elsewhere on your print. Getting the first layer height dialed in correctly is the most important part, but I have never had issues with a clogged hot end using PETG.

If you need "perfectly transparent" filament, then I believe you are limited to PET (Taulman) and PETG materials. However their should be natural PLA filaments that are somewhat transparent if you are not comfortable with PETG. The biggest advantage to PETG is that is can be printed as easily as PLA and is as strong as ABS without the warping and other printing drawbacks (i.e. enclosed beds for larger objects).
March 20, 2017 12:05PM
I just found a supplier that sell transparent ABS. I'll try it out and see just how transparent it is winking smiley

Göteborg, Sweden
March 21, 2017 01:13PM
Just printed my new ABS that was declared as clear transparent. Quite a bummer. After print it was far from transparent. More like light whitish thumbs down
So I guess I will have a go at PETG after all. Hope for better result on that.

Göteborg, Sweden
March 21, 2017 03:53PM
sidhabo
Just printed my new ABS that was declared as clear transparent. Quite a bummer. After print it was far from transparent. More like light whitish thumbs down
So I guess I will have a go at PETG after all. Hope for better result on that.

Hi!
Petg. will give the same result.
Abs might get "clearer" with acetone warping. Or clear coat lack.
My Petg does not get "clear transparent"
Think ABS is best option there.. but it needs post treatment.
March 21, 2017 04:36PM
Ok Good info Thanks

Göteborg, Sweden
March 21, 2017 08:58PM
I believe polycarbonate can come out pretty clear, but that takes a lot of heat to print.
March 22, 2017 01:28PM
Keep in mind that due to the layered nature of FDM 3D printing, there are no perfectly transparent materials. However I believe someone created a finishing material that could improve transparency on prints with thicker layer heights. Unfortunately I don't have the link or name of the product.
March 22, 2017 01:35PM
You might want to check out T-glase. It's pretty shiny and semi-transparent in most of the pictures I've seen of printed objects. They also go into depth on how to make more transparent objects by adjusting some of your slicer settings. t-glase features
March 22, 2017 02:09PM
Thanks for feedback all smiling smiley

Göteborg, Sweden
March 22, 2017 03:43PM
I have both PETG and ABS in clear. Results are pretty similar. Far from clear- you wouldn't be able to see through them. But also not opaque, so light shines through and makes them glow, much more so that with white.

PETG is easier to print. You need to get your retraction just right, because it's stringy, but you can use a part cooling fan and thus it's much easier to do the more complex parts with tiny islands and bridges and overhangs etc.

Attached photo shows a print in "transparent" ABS. PETG looks virtually the same.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_2477.JPG (198 KB)
March 22, 2017 03:54PM
slippyr4
I have both PETG and ABS in clear. Results are pretty similar. Far from clear- you wouldn't be able to see through them. But also not opaque, so light shines through and makes them glow, much more so that with white.
PETG is easier to print. You need to get your retraction just right, because it's stringy, but you can use a part cooling fan and thus it's much easier to do the more complex parts with tiny islands and bridges and overhangs etc.
Attached photo shows a print in "transparent" ABS. PETG looks virtually the same.
Yes, that look about the same result I get

Göteborg, Sweden
March 26, 2017 06:55PM
For clearer prints, be sure to experiment with speed, which affects clarity of some filaments. Mark Wheaton has exploited this with "velocity painting" to good effect...

Velocity painting on Github
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login