Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blue Tape Noob question

Posted by gnomadix 
Blue Tape Noob question
August 29, 2012 09:29AM
Hi All,

I've bought some 3M blue painters tape get my prints to stick on my heated bed
as the extruder just knocks them off when I print (using sugar water)

Its not double sided so I was wondering the best way to put it and if anyone
has any useful hints or photographs of how they do their taping

I have bought acetone, but I don't want to use it in the house unless it a last option
and I have polyimide tape but its quite dear

Many Thanks for all your help

Simon
Re: Blue Tape Noob question
August 29, 2012 10:21AM
What about double sided tape? Masking tape has a somewhat rough texture that might help sugar water stick a little better. What are you printing? Is it for consumption or decoration?

Bringing 3D printing to America's classrooms.

Follow my efforts at TheChicksNest.blogspot.com
August 29, 2012 11:07AM
Thanks for your reply Anthrochick

I could try double sided masking tape: what bed temp can it cope with?

as for consumption/decoration at the moment I'm happy with any thing (apart form print that get knocked off while printing)

getting double sided kapton or blue tape in the uk might take a while

Best
Simon
August 29, 2012 12:03PM
Have you tried checking the hardware/home section of tesco or the pound store for something similar that would give a good texture to print on? I'm not sure where in the UK you are but you can sometimes find tape and such in the school displays of larger markets or chemists. Art supply stores would probably have something for mounting.

Bringing 3D printing to America's classrooms.

Follow my efforts at TheChicksNest.blogspot.com
August 29, 2012 10:24PM
Before I had my hot bed up and working, I cobbled together a way that had pretty good results. First I put down a layer of the blue painters tape, 3m adhesive spray, and plastic netting weave vent on a roll. The plastic netting came on a roll and can be found at a hardware store. I think I got mine at Menards. I think it was in the roofing/ventilation section.

Anyways, cut a section of the plastic weave to fit the bed. Put your blue painters tape on. LIGHTLY spray some 3m adhesive spray onto the tape and some onto the one side of the weave. Let them air for a few minutes to set up and get tacky. Then put them together, and smooth them out. If there are any spots that may pop up, hit'em with a quick blast of the adhesive spray. Then let it set up for a few more minutes. Oh, and I would really really recommend putting on some latex gloves or deal with getting stuck to everything.

The plastic netting adds some layer height so you may have to readjust the first layer height ratio. I just left mine alone. The nozzle skipped over the weave lines on the first print but really meshed the first layer of plastic into it and made for a rock solid base. Granted, it was a bit of trimming at the end, and the base layer had a noticeable grid pattern to it, but it stuck extremely well. I was running an 8 hour print and didn't want to have a 6 hour messup. I'll admit, it may not look pretty or be very practical, but it works.

Hope it helps. If the picutes doesn't load up right, let me know and I'll try to load it again.

Cheers,
John
Attachments:
open | download - photo.JPG (172.4 KB)
August 29, 2012 11:30PM
I print pla onto heated glass covered in a very thing dilute layer of pva glue. It works briliantly, with a flat glossy bad and good adhesion. If you're using pla, give it a try.
August 30, 2012 05:24AM
Some people had success with hair spray on bare glass too : [www.thingiverse.com]

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
August 31, 2012 05:21AM
Thanks your all your replies: I will try these suggestions
post back the results

Simon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login