Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homing failure motors jam

Posted by NeX 
NeX
Homing failure motors jam
September 29, 2018 12:20PM
So im new to this whole 3D printing thing and started to build my own printer which is a mendel type one to be exact a franzis mendel which i build according to a book i bought.
The printer is now completed atleast on the hardware side but i now started to install Marlin (im using the RAMPS 1.4 board with an Arduino Mega 2560 and A4998 stepper drivers) and as a control software for my pc im using repetier.
I at first tried to move the axes over the manual controll tab and adjusted the potentiometers so that every motor is moving its axis. X and Y are moving fine but the Z axis motors do after moving them produce some slight high frequency sounds. But the real problems are showing when i start to press the homing buttons on the manual control tab the X and Y motors start to sound like they´re jamming but only for like one sec and after that they start to move. But the Z axis motors dont stop with their jamming sounds they wont move ( I immediatly pressed the reset button on the board or atleast as fast as i could). At some point pressing the X axis homing button even moved the Y axis but this happened only once and I didn´t manage to replicate this behaviour. The printer was just set up and i have never printed anything with it its the first attempt to calibrate it. Tried to get it done using the books tips but i tried everything and it didnt work out neither have i found something on the forum or somewhere else to this specific problem so at this point I´m hoping to find help here.
I uploaded some clips to youtube where i at first move the axes with the manual control and then try the homing buttons i hope this helps.
Motors manually controlled
Homing jamming
If you need some further information or more visuals dont hesitate to ask.
Thanks in advance from a newbie.
Re: Homing failure motors jam
September 29, 2018 01:04PM
For the Z axis - if you are using 5mm threaded rod then your DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE is properly too high

The default is 5, change it to 2

#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 2, 25} // (mm/sec)

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
NeX
September 30, 2018 07:18AM
Wow thanks this seems to have helped at the Z axis eventhough I´m using a 6mm threaded rod thanks they´re not even making that high frequency noise at the start but the X and Y axis still do their jamming sound before they move is there a line which i also need to change here like for the Z axis before ? And do i understand this correctly the feedrate is basically the velocity of the axis movement ? i now changed only the 5 to an 2 but the line on mine also has those 300 in it do they change something else?
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE          { 300, 300, 2, 25 }
September 30, 2018 10:40AM
4 numbers are for the X Y Z E motor speeds, the 300 300 and 25 should be ok, it is just the Zdefault Z speed set in marlin that is too fast for 4000 steps
September 30, 2018 11:34AM
This may be helpful, see my post, 5th post from the starting post:
[reprap.org]

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
NeX
October 03, 2018 10:13AM
Ok so i think after finally playing with these feedrate numbers which i had to readjust after setting the correct speed for the steppermotors this seems to have helped thanks to guysthumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login