Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Silicone heater; unknown brand or Keenovo?

Posted by Govahnator 
Silicone heater; unknown brand or Keenovo?
October 10, 2018 05:59PM
Hi Folks,

I am about to order a 300x300 mm Silicone heatpad for a 340x340x6mm Cast plate.

Found this one [www.ebay.com] It is the cheapest i have found, but the picture of more expensive listings is the same.. it seems like 20 accounts offer the same product at different prices, but all from the same store!

Now i would much prefer one like keenovo with silicone cables but i guess i can still use some kind of tubing, not sure what though appart from heat shrink tubing.

Does anyone have experience with similar products, am i playing with safety and should i pay 3x the price and get a Keenovo?

-
Cheers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 06:04PM by Govahnator.
Re: Silicone heater; unknown brand or Keenovo?
October 11, 2018 01:04AM
Those cables are fine, the fibre isolation will stand the usual heat bed temps.
I'd be more concerned about the huge amount of power. The thermistor will reach target temperature in no time, but you should consider waiting some extra minutes to allow the cast bed to spread the heat evenly.
October 11, 2018 01:44AM
I agree. I suggest you aim for a power density of about 0.4W to 0.5W per square cm. Choose a bed heater a little smaller than the bed plate, to leave room for fastenings around the edge.

Another supplier of silicone heaters that I have used is Shenzhen Ali Brother Technology, via Ali Express.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 11, 2018 06:04AM
Hi Guys,

Ok i will go for a 300x300mm 600w 220v heatpad then winking smiley The heater is small since the bed is 340x340

I was not worried about the heat resistance of the fiber wires, more the durability compared to silicone wires.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2018 06:05AM by Govahnator.
October 11, 2018 12:39PM
The one I bought from Shenzhen Ali Brother Technology also has a silicone cable. They will make whatever size, voltage and power you want. I am told that Keenovo offers that service too.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 11, 2018 04:21PM
I've been using this one from Keenova on my delta for three+ years.

It doesn't pay to get the cheapest when the risk of a fire is fairly high.
October 12, 2018 08:52AM
Thanks for the info guys!

I ordered a 300x300 600w 220v one, as it seems indeed 750w is overpowered.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login