Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

re-using GEN3 electronics, problem when printing

Posted by Lionel 
re-using GEN3 electronics, problem when printing
September 16, 2012 02:55PM
Hi all,

I managed to re-comission my Mendel reprap, which uses Gen3 electronics and FiveD 20111115 firmware version, but I am having a problem with the print software.

So far I could only have a temperature reading by using PrintRun, all other softwares fail to give me anything. From google I understand that this is due to loss of support from the new fimware/softwares. (if true, I would appreciate a confirmation so that I can modify the wiki page of Gen3 for future readers...)

Anyway, PrintRun works well to set/read the temperature and to move the axes, but it fails to print any objects. So far I have tried with 3 different files, every time the same fault occured: the steppers are visibly used for about 10-15 sec (the lights flashes) but it looks very random, and then the print finishes. There is no extrusion either.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Would there be a way around to use another software?

Cheers,

Lionel
Re: re-using GEN3 electronics, problem when printing
September 17, 2012 04:04AM
You need to add the Gen3+ daughter board if you want to use newer firmwares such as Sprinter.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 21, 2012 01:00PM
Thanks for the answer!
I have seen something similar on a blog, but in my case it doesn't make sense: I can read the temperature using Printrun v32, I can set a point and control the temperature correctly, I can extrude the filamenet and control the potision of the extruder, so I should be able to print an object?
The only thing that seems to be a problem is to control the speed of the extruder, but I need to test this further.
September 21, 2012 02:58PM
No!

The Gen 3 has a separate extruder controller that communicates with the mother board over a serial line.
The newer firmwares do NOT SUPPORT this configuration, they assume that the extruder hotend, heated bed and fan are controlled directly with pins on the main board. This is what the adapter does for you, then you no longer need the extruder controller and you can use newer firmwares. This board was designed by Kliment to cure the Gen3 sickness that doesn't allow you to use the newer firmwares.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
September 21, 2012 03:02PM
Are you using the 1.2 motherboard and extruder board?
Well believe it or not, I am still using my generation 3 electronics, but I hope to ditch the old firmware, in place of Marlin.
From comparing pins, you should just be able to use just the motherboard to control all 4 steppers, and thermal management.
The daughter board mentioned in the previous post will sort out the thermal and extruder connections.
September 21, 2012 03:03PM
As an aside I am using FiveD firmware with Printer Interface (PrintRun) or whatever other name you want to call it like pconsole. FiveD is NOT a newer firmware but works fine with Pronterface. But you were referring to new firmwares, PrintRun is NOT a firmware it is a HOST software, FiveD is the firmware.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
September 21, 2012 03:05PM
The old firmware for generation 3, was quite bugged to support newer hardware and not regression tested with Gen3.
Also you will need to set in firmware to disable any acceleration.
September 21, 2012 03:13PM
I've also made the gen3+ board from veroboard/strip board
I won't be using that board, as I will use EasyDrivers from sparkfun, switching out the old 1/2 step drivers for 1/8 step drivers
September 23, 2012 11:29AM
Thanks for all the answers!

@Grogyan:
I am using the motherboard v1.2 + extruder board indeed, just like you apparently. Do you have any particular problem with the old firmware? Could it be an option to install it back? Why don't you want to use the Gen3+ board?

@Bob:
Do you know by any chance which is the latest version of the firmware that still supports Gen3 without the Gen3+ addon please? I think that the simplest solution for me would be to install it and have an 'old' Mendel for now. Unless there is a catch?
September 23, 2012 05:56PM
Pm me, and I'll email you the firmware that I use
September 24, 2012 02:59AM
Any version of the FiveD firmware supports the Gen3 electronics.
For the newer firmwares I have no idea...

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
September 24, 2012 06:14AM
Not true, I spent months finding a modern version of FiveD that had the required features that I was after, was able to compile and run it without a problem (before TeaCup).
Someone was "cleaning up the code" whilst supporting newer electronics, and royally screwed up support for Gen3.

It's working now, just!

I suggest that he/she try out TeaCup, as that is now the most up to date version that still supports Gen3, FiveD is very old.
September 25, 2012 03:07PM
ok, I understand better now.
Appart from support for new hardware, does the new firmware provide any additional features that facilitate the printing?
September 26, 2012 12:11PM
I mean, for Gen3 electronics?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login