Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stainless steel vs brass nozzles

Posted by dave3d 
Stainless steel vs brass nozzles
November 03, 2016 08:37AM
I was recently on Amazon buying some new filament and one of the feedback comments was that the particular ABS filament I was buying was too abrasive for brass nozzles, stainless steel was recommended.
I must admit this is new to me. All my nozzles are brass and I have never noticed any hole enlarging or any other degradation. I was previously using jheads but now E3D v6 with 0.4mm brass nozzle. I do occasionally need to use a nozzle drill cleaner tool thingy to clean the nozzles.
Re: Stainless steel vs brass nozzles
November 03, 2016 09:10AM
I had filament with additives (glas fibers, metal poweder etc.) damage brass nozzles, but the steel airbrush nozzles i use with the Merlin have yet to get damaged.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
November 03, 2016 06:24PM
If it's plain ABS without any glass or carbon fibers or metal particles, it won't be abrasive and a brass nozzle should be OK.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 04, 2016 11:52AM
That is what I thought, that it should be OK with ABS.
February 20, 2019 08:32AM
I was going to buy a steel nozzle last week because steel just seemed superior to brass.Then I read steel nozzles are not superior in performance to brass nozzles, and in fact, they give you ever so slightly lower printing speeds.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login