Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gears for the Extruder

Posted by Arthur 
Gears for the Extruder
August 07, 2008 06:22PM
I'm building the extruder now and need both the "motor gear" and "drive gear", but can't seem to locate them on the internet. This is what the instructions say:

"The motor gear has a pitch circle diameter of 12 mm and the drive gear 36 mm. Any gears with these pitch measurements and 3mm central holes will will do. I used parts CDT0110 (outside diameter 15mm) and CDT0112 (outside diameter 40mm) from Greenweld." [reprap.org]

Fair enough, but a search on google pulls up lots of suppliers but without the appropriate specs (bore size too big, too small for M3, etc). Has anyone else found success with a particular gear supplier in the US? If so, where?

Thanks for any help.
sid
Re: Gears for the Extruder
August 08, 2008 07:02AM
use a gear with a smaller bore size and a drill winking smiley

'sid
August 08, 2008 01:14PM
Sid -- What did you do for your extruder gears originally?

I ended up just buying it from Greenweld in the UK smiling smiley -- heck, I spent enough time searching.
sid
August 08, 2008 01:37PM
In fact I have no extruder winking smiley (not yet)

But I'm pretty serious about not having any gears (except the ones in the gm3 itself of course)

But there's much left to do for me so I will take care about the extruder later

'sid
August 08, 2008 02:19PM
Sounds like you're doing something pretty neat. Show some pics when you're done.
sid
August 08, 2008 06:45PM
I surely will.
the problem I do have right now is that my "drill instructor" smiling bouncing smiley *f
August 09, 2008 02:00PM
Sid, sounds like you could use a Fonly drill press!

[www.btinternet.com]

Enjoy that one!

Demented
sid
August 10, 2008 03:37AM
I do have a drillpress, but not a good one, My drill is not the best thing available too.

It's really hard to get through 3cm of that plastic (hdpe as I was told, unsure right now) with 500W of drilling power.

And I do think it's impossible to bore 8cm long holes (which must be done)
not that my drillpress have a lift close to 8cm... winking smiley
But I don't think that changing the drillpress would solve the problem at all.
So I'll wait for my friend with his 3kW 800kg drill to make straight holes in the proper positions winking smiley

'sid
August 12, 2008 06:23AM
hmm, I'd just borrow a lathe or a milling machine...if you have one. ;-)

Demented
September 08, 2008 03:38PM
I recently bought some from Science Store [sciencestore.co.uk] in the UK. It took 19 days for them to show up: 2 to fill the order, 8 to get from Hoddesdon UK to my local post office and 9 days for the post office to figure out how to get the package the remaining 4 miles to my house.

That last bit is a story in itself. I happened to find a slip of paper on the ground a week ago. Apparently, the postal carrier had attempted to deliver the package on the 28th but, since it was an international package, it required a signature. At least that's what the scribbles on the piece of paper appeared to say. I called the toll-free number for the post office and, after repeatedly saying "customer service" at the voice recognition system (in increasing levels of volume), I was eventually connected to a live person. She confirmed that, yes, it required a signature since it was an international package and, no, there was no way to waive that requirement. I arranged for a Saturday delivery. I waited around all day Saturday for the delivery. Nothing. Granted, a tropical storm came through that morning, which might have caused some delivery problems. Saturday evening, I walked up my driveway to my mailbox (just in case) and found the package stuffed in there. Apparently it didn't need my signature after all.
September 08, 2008 04:14PM
Arthur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm building the extruder now and need both the
> "motor gear" and "drive gear", but can't seem to
> locate them on the internet. This is what the
> instructions say:
>

I'm milling my own. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
September 09, 2008 06:45AM
Maplin in the UK do a kit of gears :

[www.maplin.co.uk]

I dont have it so I cant say if the quality is any good - from the website photo the teeth dont look so good.

And a fiver for that? not cheap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2008 06:46AM by Richard Benjamin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login