Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Honeycomb filling

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Honeycomb filling
August 08, 2008 04:44AM
Has anyone looked at using small circles for fill? Not technically a honeycomb but possibly quite strong? I have noticed with my drawing RepStrap that I can fill an area fairly quickly with continuous circles vs say a grid.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Dan
Ru
Re: Honeycomb filling
August 08, 2008 05:34AM
I've pondered infill strategies a little, and came to the conclusion that having long filaments that zig-zag across the part is a good thing because a) its nice and fast and simple because you're not having to do anything more complex than bresenham line drawing and b) we have a whole bunch of parts which use this method which hold together pretty well.

I don't think strength (or lack thereof) is really the problem; its more the case that the infill strategy is going to be what determines the warping in the final part. And I don't think that anyone really understands warping terribly well at present.
VDX
Re: Honeycomb filling
August 08, 2008 05:39AM
... continuous lines, criss-crossed over the slices, are much, much faster ...

One good point for circles are the complex arrangement of circular and triangular tubes (where three circles connects) and you can forget the outline, when the circles are small enough.

Viktor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login