Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Possible printer definition problem in Cura?

Posted by Bernie 
Possible printer definition problem in Cura?
June 11, 2019 08:13PM
Well. I built a custom printer. RepRap coreXY . I’m ready to print. Tried today. Fired up all printer systems and ran operation check. Loaded object file with my custom defined printer selected in CURA. Sliced it saved it to SD card. Plugged it into my MKS sbase, 1.3, 32 bit/ tft 3.2 screen. Went to print icon and confirmed, then found file on the SD card. Printer started to print the “test XYZ cube” from Thingiverse. In the front left corner in a small square like it was going to print correctly then shot from homing at front left corner to rear right corner which over shot glass bed and I shut down immediately. I centered cube in my bed representation on cura before slicing and saving to SD card. Any ideas?
Re: Possible printer definition problem in Cura?
June 12, 2019 04:14AM
It can be a whole array of issues. For example, firmware settings, axis offsets, but could also be printer definition.

Is this the first ever print your making with the printer and did you test out the movement constraints with a program like pronterface? You can then test if your steps/mm are set correctly for example, and see if the max-distances are set correctly. You will also immediately notice if you maybe have an axis going the wrong way etc etc.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Re: Possible printer definition problem in Cura?
June 12, 2019 11:08AM
Bernie
Well. I built a custom printer. RepRap coreXY . I’m ready to print. Tried today. Fired up all printer systems and ran operation check. Loaded object file with my custom defined printer selected in CURA. Sliced it saved it to SD card. Plugged it into my MKS sbase, 1.3, 32 bit/ tft 3.2 screen. Went to print icon and confirmed, then found file on the SD card. Printer started to print the “test XYZ cube” from Thingiverse. In the front left corner in a small square like it was going to print correctly then shot from homing at front left corner to rear right corner which over shot glass bed and I shut down immediately. I centered cube in my bed representation on cura before slicing and saving to SD card. Any ideas?

I have seen CURA do this with two of my reprap printers. I updated from CURA 3.6 to CURA 4.0 on one of my Delta printers, the print started out correctly, then moved off past the print volume and kept trying to go further until I shut it down.

Then, using CURA 3.6 on my reprap Cartesian, via Octoprint, The printer homed and moved to the far back right and started printing, moving in the Z direction but stayed in my farthest extreme corner dumping filament. The next time I sliced the model, it worked correctly. Then the time after that, again it moved to far back right. I then figured that it was Octoprint biffing the print and started using the SD card. Same behavior, a couple of prints went fine, then the next one, off to the corner. This printer however has worked with CURA 3.2 through 3.6 over USB or Octoprint for over a year, then... Interestingly, Simplify3D prints have been flawless over Octoprint.

I have never been able to cure the CURA 3.6 to Cartesian printer issue. I use CURA 3.6 on other printers through Octoprint fine.

So, after that long-winded sympathetic whine... I will be very interested in anything that you discover! My printers are RAMPS-based or Rambo boards, no attempt at 32-bit systems just yet.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
printer hot end not extruding
June 21, 2019 04:58PM
I just completed a reprap cartesian style printer. Trying to print my first item. The test xyz cube from Thingiverse. The printer preheats fine. Bed just right and hot end so the tft screen says. I choose the cura sliced test print and the head/carriage goes through its pre print ritual. Even extruding a few mm of filament. The head then moves to the center of my heated bed and starts to print. It’s ok for 3-4 layers then the filament stops flowing and I end up stopping the print. It has done this exact same thing 3 times now. I have pulled the hot end each time making sure nothing is physically impeding the flow. The extruder is exceptional with a fine gear that grips the filament strongly enough to pop the tubing out of the compression connector at the cold end of the extruder when the filament stops flowing. I’m thinking it has to be cooling down for some reason unknown. It has an exchanger fan that turns on/off at 50c. It also has two side fans blowing through small funnels on the extruded filament when actually printing. The head says it’s maintaining 220c. The system is an MKS v1.3 32 bit with a tft screen, running Smoothieware. The primary power is a 24vdc supply split to heat the bed at 24vdc and goes through a buck boost to feed the MKS board at 12vdc. All steppers fans and hot end operate at the 12vdc. Hot end thermistor is accurate. I’m thinking either the fans are efficient enough to be cooling the head so the filament stops flowing(but the tft temp gauge says it’s maintaining at 220c) or the power/voltage is somehow an issue? Maybe even the configuration code is the issue? Attached is the website showing the printer design and electrical and mechanical components as well as the GitHub site location of the configuration file I’m running. I have 4 months in this build from scratch, parts sourcing and the like after work one on weekends. Any ideas?? THANKS IN ADVANCE. [repalmakershop.com] [github.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login