Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Generating STL Files from github

Posted by FenderBender 
Generating STL Files from github
September 25, 2012 07:55AM
Hi,

I am a complete noob to the subject of 3D printing etc. My plans are to build a Prusa i2. At my university we have a 3D printer already, so I thought it would be neat to print the parts that I need there.

This is where my troubles beginn, here: http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Prusa it tells me that:

"The [Github repository] for the iteration 2 has all the STL files you need in order to make the printer. Run "generate-metric.bat" (or one of the batch files for the linear bearings) and it'll generate all the STLs needed. You will need OpenSCAD installed and it will need to be in your path."

I just dont have the faintest clue as to what this is trying to tell me. I tried manually downloading the STL files from the Github repository but that doesnt seem to work.

I downloaded and installed OpenScad but have no idea where to go from here. I am a Windows 7 user if that is of any help.

I tried seachring the forum and google for the answer, but I'm not even really sure what to search for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

FenderBender
Re: Generating STL Files from github
September 25, 2012 08:21AM
Okay,

I'll answer this and hopefully it will make sense, and people don't disagree too much. I'm not that far in front of you.

Go to GitHub. There will be a link near the top left, to grab the whole project as a Zip file. Inside here, will be the SCAD files, and from what you have written above, a MS DOS batch file, which builds the STL files from the SCAD files, using OpenSCAD.

So, grab the zip. Unzip it somewhere.

Make sure the path to OpenSCAD is in your PATH. Not sure about paths, you can Google for that.

Once you have that setup, double click your generate-metric.bat. It will take a while I suspect, as it compiles the SCAD files & creates STL files from each.

These STL files are what you take to the 3D printer at Uni.

Good luck.

Regards,

Peter.
September 25, 2012 12:40PM
Hi,

thank you for your answer, it is a step in the right direction. Now at least I seem to have the propper STL files. I still dont quite know what the generate-metric.bat is supposed to do, let alone FIND a file called that with a .bat ending. All the "generate" files i can find end in .sh , not sure what to do with a .sh file....

Regards,

FenderBender
September 27, 2012 03:08PM
I am having the same-ish problem with the Prusa i3 files.
I d/l'ed the zip file but when I look at the .scad files they arn't parts,
but whole assembalies i.e. the x axis or Y axis.

I hope FenderBender got his files sorted out.

ISTAR Scope Club
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login